Author Topic: swiss cheese stringers and glue fu  (Read 1820 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
swiss cheese stringers and glue fu
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »

More progress. Carpenter showed me many flaws I was doing so I have wood pieces to process but gotta fixt the attachment points. Many stringers in the boat have lots of holes in them.

Thickened up some epoxy and putting bar stock aluminum under the swiss cheese.

Crossing my fingers it will hold fast and allow me to attach the wood in one shot.

Got to do some wire chasing on the bow light as the wires only have 7-10 volts on them.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: swiss cheese stringers and glue fu
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Got to do some wire chasing on the bow light as the wires only have 7-10 volts on them.

Don't chase 'em, replace them.  Green rot can hide in what looks like a good wire, hence............resistance=heat=voltage drop.  Also use Dieletric in all you connections, even if they're soldered and heat shrunk.   You know the old saying, "didn't have the time or money to do it right the first time, but"   8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:48:54 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »

Don't chase 'em, replace them.  Green rot can hide in what looks like a good wire, hence............resistance=heat=voltage drop.  Also use Dieletric in all you connections, even if they're soldered and heat shrunk.   You know the old saying, "didn't have the time or money to do it right the first time, but"   8)

Oh I hear you Verne. Unlike carpentry, I've been an electronics tech since '82 so wire chasing is easy for me.

Question is at this point is if the wires are bad to the bow or the switch panel itself because the rear light used to work but now isn't so leans toward maybe the panel. Once I have the glue fu done I can check that easy.

Wire chasing doesn't depend on temp like epoxy and paint so I am pushing wiring to the back burner..

Jim
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:23:46 AM by spideyjg »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
The boat is turning into quite the project!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
The boat is turning into quite the project!

It is not all that bad just my lack of free time makes it worse.

My day job has me running like a chicken with the head cut off, side business is hitting the busiest time of year so I get very little free time to spend on it.