Author Topic: Silver in the Salt (10/29)  (Read 1815 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Silver in the Salt (10/29)
« on: October 29, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
I didn't think I'd have a chance to fish this weekend.  Actually, I've been going nuts to get out but have very little time lately to do so.
I had a really small window to fish this morning and jumped on it. 3 hours.. 30 minutes to get to the bay and 30 minutes back leaves a two hour window to actually fish. 
I threw the spook for an hour looking for a corvina.  I think I got one earlier in the year, but can't remember so it was a bummer of a silver season to say the least.

One hour of walking the dog for nothing.  Not even a follow.  I saw plenty of mullet, but no real signs of fish.

I switched up to a chartreuse swimmy and hoping to get a bass to get the skunk off.  Whew!  I scored a 9-10" spotty for the skunk buster.  Not long after and I get another, but it was only more like 7".

I was working my way back to the truck when my lure just stopped and sat there... followed by a screaming run!  Well Damn!  Hoisted this 21.75" silver up onto the ice plant.

I called it quits and ended on a good note.  Got back in time to watch my daughter so my wife could head out for a while.

It was a successful morning at the salt flats! Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Silver in the Salt (10/29)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Glad to hear that you can get the vines on swimmies as well as the top water lures. I need to target some vines this fall.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »
Damn!  Nice fish Tom!

I've done a couple of 3 hr sessions with no luck so far.  They usually go like: 1 hr working a spook hoping for a corvina, 1 hr throwing a LC 110 hoping for anything predatory, and then 1 hr throwing a swimbait hoping for a dinky bass to avoid the skunk.  Last time I was out I picked up a mackerel on the swimbait, haha.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:30 AM »
Outstanding Tom, I've never seen a corvina in person.  Side note.........good to see someone else likes the handle on the "correct" side of a baitcaster   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
Nice one Tom, I'd love to catch one of those someday!

Msimpauco

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
Nice one! I've exhausted all attempts trying to catch a corvina haha. It just seems impossible for me

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:24:52 AM »
Nice one! I've exhausted all attempts trying to catch a corvina haha. It just seems impossible for me

They are frustrating to fish for at times, but it is very rewarding when you get them!  Especially on the top-water baits!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.