Author Topic: Best line for casting convetionals?  (Read 6265 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Best line for casting convetionals?
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
So I'm slowly making the transition to conventionals.
The last 2 sessions I've been fishing my main spinner rod, and the same rod (Penn Prevail 12' heavy) in conventional form with a Penn Mag Power 990 reel.  I'm really like both!  I just picked up a Daiwa Sealine-X 50HV from ebay for $22  :o and I'm looking to add another Prevail to the stable to mount it on (bday is coming up this weekend).
I'm going to rebuild the Sealine and add an adjustable mag kit that I've been working on.  But I need to know what to spool it with!

The plan is a few hundred yards of 80# braid, but I'm not sure after that.
Fill it with braid and just use a rub leader? (I had a bad experience with this on my spinner when I started)
Add 100 yards or so top shot of 40# Big Game mono like on my spinner?
What brand/size?
What do you guys think casts the best on conventionals and resists backlash?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Best line for casting convetionals?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »
I use big game. Works for me.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »
I run 80 braid and 80 big game rub leader. On my Saltist 40 no worries.

My Saltist 20 will backlash in the blink of an eye with braid.
Hate that thing😠

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
So I'm slowly making the transition to conventionals.
The last 2 sessions I've been fishing my main spinner rod, and the same rod (Penn Prevail 12' heavy) in conventional form with a Penn Mag Power 990 reel.  I'm really like both!  I just picked up a Daiwa Sealine-X 50HV from ebay for $22  :o and I'm looking to add another Prevail to the stable to mount it on (bday is coming up this weekend).
I'm going to rebuild the Sealine and add an adjustable mag kit that I've been working on.

The plan is a few hundred yards of 80# braid, but I'm not sure after that.
Fill it with braid and just use a rub leader? (I had a bad experience with this on my spinner when I started)
Add 100 yards or so top shot of 40# Big Game mono like on my spinner?
What brand/size?
What do you guys think casts the best on conventionals and resists backlash?

So I'm slowly making the transition to conventionals. About damn time!

The last 2 sessions I've been fishing my main spinner rod, and the same rod (Penn Prevail 12' heavy) in conventional form with a Penn Mag Power 990 reel.  A 990?! Old school!! I have the 970 and 980 collecting dust in the garage. Best to upgrade the internals and drag stack.

I'm really like both!  I just picked up a Daiwa Sealine-X 50HV from ebay for $22  :o Hell of a deal!!

I'm going to rebuild the Sealine and add an adjustable mag kit that I've been working on. I like this better for casting distance.

The plan is a few hundred yards of 80# braid, but I'm not sure after that. My Fathom 40 is loaded with 100lb braid and ~100yds of 50lb mono top shot connected together with an FG knot. You don't even notice or hear the knot go through the guides. My little SMs, like the one I used last night is loaded with 50lb braid abd ~50yds of 40lb mono and an FG knot splicing everything together.

Fill it with braid and just use a rub leader? (I had a bad experience with this on my spinner when I started) Binh and I stray from the norm here. Most guys have a substantial rub leader to go with their top shot. We just very small rub leader. 2-3' at the most. Rub leaders typically is heavy mono 80-200lbs. That's either crimped, hollow braided on, or tied with tying not being the best option as the knot would be huge making casting a b!tch.

Add 100 yards or so top shot of 40# Big Game mono like on my spinner? This is what I do.

What brand/size? I've been using the extremely Chinese  ;) braid and I too like Big Game. I used to use PLine, but it got expensive and the heavier mono felt stiff.

What do you guys think casts the best on conventionals and resists backlash? Well, if you mag your reel, most backlashes will be avoided.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »

So I'm slowly making the transition to conventionals. About damn time! LOL

The last 2 sessions I've been fishing my main spinner rod, and the same rod (Penn Prevail 12' heavy) in conventional form with a Penn Mag Power 990 reel.  A 990?! Old school!! I have the 970 and 980 collecting dust in the garage. Best to upgrade the internals and drag stack. I love the 990!  Adjustable mag with internals and drag the size of a 4/0!  If you want to find a new home for your 970 & 980 let me know!!

I'm really like both!  I just picked up a Daiwa Sealine-X 50HV from ebay for $22  :o Hell of a deal!! Can't wait to try it!

I'm going to rebuild the Sealine and add an adjustable mag kit that I've been working on. I like this better for casting distance. Should be cool.

The plan is a few hundred yards of 80# braid, but I'm not sure after that. My Fathom 40 is loaded with 100lb braid and ~100yds of 50lb mono top shot connected together with an FG knot. You don't even notice or hear the knot go through the guides. My little SMs, like the one I used last night is loaded with 50lb braid abd ~50yds of 40lb mono and an FG knot splicing everything together.I think I'll copy you on this.

Fill it with braid and just use a rub leader? (I had a bad experience with this on my spinner when I started) Binh and I stray from the norm here. Most guys have a substantial rub leader to go with their top shot. We just very small rub leader. 2-3' at the most. Rub leaders typically is heavy mono 80-200lbs. That's either crimped, hollow braided on, or tied with tying not being the best option as the knot would be huge making casting a b!tch. So the tail of that big 7gill was slapping the 40#?  My 80# rub leaders (20' long) usually have to be replaced after one 7gill because they are shredded. My 40# to 80# connection isn't bad, don't really notice it go through the guides.

Add 100 yards or so top shot of 40# Big Game mono like on my spinner? This is what I do.

What brand/size? I've been using the extremely Chinese  ;) braid and I too like Big Game. I used to use PLine, but it got expensive and the heavier mono felt stiff.I don't like how slick the power pro is, I might be trying some Kastking or similar on this one.

What do you guys think casts the best on conventionals and resists backlash? Well, if you mag your reel, most backlashes will be avoided.That's my goal :)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »
Chad,
I know you've seen my rigs.  On my fathom 30's, I run straight braid with a mono shock/rub leader. My 30's are holding 400+ yds of 65# braid and I typically start with 25-30 ft of 100# mono for the shock leader and replace this when it gets too short after numerous cutbacks etc from adding and removing rigs. Pinoyfisher gave you some great advice and I will add my 2 cents to what he said.

There are 3 basic setups not counting a shock or rub leader etc. All mono, All braid, or braid backing with a mono topshot.
I'm not gonna talk about #1 since that's pretty cut and dried. Depending on your reel and your casting ability/control is going to be a factor in what you choose to do. Each option will have some pros and cons IMHO and everyone will have different opinions.

All braid
This option will yield the greatest line capacity and can yield greater casting distance. Useful for those using a smaller reel. The smaller line diameter and decreased weight to length ratio can decrease the amount of drag and loss of velocity of the weight and bait. Of course this needs to be countered with good to great casting ability/control. This can be accomplished with either personal ability or cast controls on the reel(magnets or centrifugal). Lack of either will lead to many headaches and much frustration.  Braid's limpness/lack of memory is the primary cause for casting issues and crackoffs. Since braid does not have any inherent memory, when you cast, the braid will not lift off the spool and start to "fluff" as mono will when the spool velocity is beyond that of the outgoing line. Braid can and will(especially when wet) start to reverse wrap on the spool. This will usually result in a rapid departure of your rig and weight from the rest of your setup. This is where the cast control on the reel is truly important, even if you are a very good caster, as it helps to prevent the spool speed from increasing beyond the speed of the outgoing line.

Braid backing/mono topshot

This option is a good middle ground. The braid backing can give you the increased line capacity and the mono topshot will help with casting issue. Mono, especially so in the heavier # ratings, can provide a measure of security against backlashes that cost you your entire rig.  Mono, due to its memory/stiffness, tends to start "fluffing" for quite a while at the beginning of a backlash. Fluffing is when the spool velocity outstrips that of the out going line. Mono, with its stiffness, will start to loosen on the spool generating a number of loose coils. Typically, you can get quite a number of these lose coils before the reel actually birds nests. This is where your casting ability can be useful even if you don't have reel controls. At the first hint of a fluff forming, you have time to apply some pressure to the "side" of the spool to slow it down. With braid, by the time you notice loose line it is usually too late.

Now for some personal suggestions.

If you decide to go the full braid route, use an 8 carrier braid, not a normal 4 carrier braid. The 8 carrier will maintain a rounder profile and will not flatten nearly as much as standard braid. This helps tremendously in preventing the line from digging into itself, which will also cause a reverse wrap and breakoff on the cast. I personally use Sufix performance braid 65#. In the heavier sizes(50# and up) it is an 8 carrier braid, is not terribly expensive, and I have had zero problems with it.

Learn the FG knot, this is hands down the best braid to mono knot for heavy line when casting is involved.

If going the mono topshot route, estimate your longest cast and add 20-50% more mono beyond that.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys!
Looks like I'm on the right track. 
I'll stick with my plan of loading it mostly with braid followed by ~100 yards of 40# big game top shot and then my rub leader. 
Once I get better at casting, maybe I'll go to strait braid.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
That is some great info from you guys.  I pretty much have a set up similar to Mike and I'm super happy with it.  Squatch was using straight braid for a while except for the rub leader and I didn't like it one bit.  He lost a lot of sharks from the braid snapping on structure and gnarly back lashes.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Just in case you're not familiar with tying an FG knot, here's the tutorial I learned off of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDqMahXVOE

I do 25 wraps and a minimum 5 half hitches.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:11:41 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Thanks Mike!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »
Also remember to pay attention to your wind on tensions for each line type. Not as crucial as it is when winding on to spinners but still important. Wind the braid on TIGHT so it can't cut down into itself later and cause unwanted things to happen. Keep in mind it has no memory so you don't have to be concerned of the "spring off" effect like you do with mono.
 As far as winding on the mono you'll have to find its not to tight, not to loose "sweet spot" as far as wind on tension goes depending on the memory and stiffness characteristics of what ever you decide to put on...
Chad, did you end up making yourself get used to the crank handle on the side opposite your spinners or are you going with left handed models?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:33 AM »
Great point Joe! I jerry rigged myself a spool tensioner for winding on lines to be able to pack line on tight.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
Dang, thanks guys for all the great info!
Ya'll help take the edge off the learning curve  ;)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
Joe, I'm using standard right hand crank reels.  Still not as comfortable as lefty, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
I'm still learning how to cast them too, but even at this point I can see the advantage.  I'm already matching and sometimes increasing the distance I get with my spinner.  :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:16:21 AM by xjchad »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
I’m a lefty too. Took a little bit of training to get used to it. Funny thing, I can’t wind right handed using a spinner.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)