Author Topic: Recycling Old Lead  (Read 5785 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Recycling Old Lead
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:17:28 AM »
Into assorted sinkers.

I need to try and limit any exposure because, so I'm taking just sections at a time and smelting some lead.  I have a few old molds from Kelly and decided to give them a shot.

100 year old San Diego Lead Pipe.

Some new and old molds

The pours went pretty cool, but all the leads were 6-16 ounces so each one was a pretty big cavity.

More back up lead.

The Booty

I have no plans on making sputnik sinkers.  That requires more work than I'm willing to put into them.  I'll leave the expert sputnik sinker builds to Wilbur.  ;D

Thanks for checking out the process!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Recycling Old Lead
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
That's pretty cool Tom.  Seems like it would be a pretty slow process.  I know SocalBill has started pouring his own sputniks.  Definitely a lot of work.

Socal Bill

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
That stack of back up lead is pretty awesome 👍🏿
For me the worst part of making spudniks is drilling the holes for the grip wires.
I was too cheap to buy a spudnik mold, so i made my own out of Bondo. It won’t last forever but has popped out a suprising number of Spudniks.

LandlockedinUT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
That's pretty cool.  I spend a lot of money on lead... :(  I should buy a mold and start crafting...

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
I don’t know about in SD, but up here in LA I found a good source for used lead is from all the lobster trap cages I come across washed up on the beaches. If I look close most of them will have 2 small bricks of lead used to weight them down wired inside the cage. I always get my pliers out and untwist the wire holding them in the cage and save them to melt down later....

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
For me the worst part of making spudniks is drilling the holes for the grip wires.
I was too cheap to buy a spudnik mold, so i made my own out of Bondo. It won’t last forever but has popped out a suprising number of Spudniks.

I hit the sand for a short session last night for a skunk, but I love your Sputniks Bill!
Hold better than any I've tried so far!  8) 8)

Socal Bill

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

I hit the sand for a short session last night for a skunk, but I love your Sputniks Bill!
Hold better than any I've tried so far!  8) 8)
Nice! Glad ya like’um :)