Author Topic: Looking into waders  (Read 9798 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Looking into waders
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
I've been pretty cold the last couple sessions.  I usually just wear my board shorts and surf booties so I can wade out to cast.  The board shorts dry pretty quick, but I've still been pretty cold as the night gets later.

What do you guys use as far as waders go? 
Price range?  I know you get what you pay for, but on a tight budget, are there any quality ones for a good price?
What do you wear under them? (no going commando)  I'd be fine with a really thin material if it's waterproof enough to wear sweats under it.

Other ideas?

Thanks!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Looking into waders
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
I run these. Deep in the winter I'll wear insulated jeans underneath but otherwise they are fine.

If getting wading boots get 2 sizes up from your shoe size to have space for booty and socks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-waders/mens-fishing-waders/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103926780/caddis-breathable-stft-waders-stout-ds/2360084.uts?slotId=3
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:48:12 AM by spideyjg »

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I've been using these. Basic PVC waders with boot attached. You can find them on sale for $55.

I wear whatever is going to be the most comfortable underneath. Everything from board shorts to insulated pants. All depends on how cold it's going to get.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/rana-ii-pvc-chest-waders-cleated/
Anybody have an emergency beer?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
I've been using these. Basic PVC waders with boot attached. You can find them on sale for $55.

I wear whatever is going to be the most comfortable underneath. Everything from board shorts to insulated pants. All depends on how cold it's going to get.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/rana-ii-pvc-chest-waders-cleated/

"frogg toggs ® - One Year Product Warranty
To ensure your complete satisfaction, we offer an exclusive one-year. Our warranty does not cover damage inflicted by tree branches, fish hooks, fillet knives, shotguns, chainsaws, falling down a mountain, failure of your chute to open, fire-walking, becoming a porcupine’s love interest, gator wrestling or any similar brushes with Mother Nature and its inhabitants. Defective gear is not in the frogg toggs® DNA, and we want to do everything we can do to correct any product issues that may arise."

;D LOL, might buy them just for the great warranty!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
I run these. Deep in the winter I'll wear insulated jeans underneath but otherwise they are fine.

If getting wading boots get 2 sizes up from your shoe size to have space for booty and socks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-waders/mens-fishing-waders/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103926780/caddis-breathable-stft-waders-stout-ds/2360084.uts?slotId=3

Thanks Jim,
Those look warm and comfy! A bit out of my price range though.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »
I'm a bit on a budget as well, but I'm also cheap! My waders will typically last a year or 2 due to the amount of fishing I do which can be up to 4 nights in a week if allowed to and if the tides are right. I refuse to spend over $100 for waders. My criteria for waders:

Buy on sale
Buy a name brand
Get one with at least a chest pocket to hold a cell phone
Breathable
Stocking Foot

I almost always get mine from Sierra Trading Post. Here's one I had last year:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/compass-360-stillwater-breathable-chest-waders-stockingfoot-for-men~p~171gm/?utm_source=GooglePLAs&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Compass_360_Stillwater_Breathable_Chest_Waders_-_Stockingfoot_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLES7&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSflnNCQy0TN5-5OHdbomxV_6SA10UV2dSYtUd_PyewuxyH1DVIzo8hzMaAuyuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&codes-processed=true

I once bought a $200 pair of Simms waders and it didn't last any longer than the cheaper ones I currently buy. I also get a pair of Crocs from Big 5 one size up from what I normally wear, cheap and they always have coupons available. I wear these instead of wading boots or surf shoes. They come off easy, no worries of laces breaking, metal parts rusting, and any built up sand that gets trapped can be easily removed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »
Awesome, thanks Mike!

Do I have to get white crocs??

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
I would spend a little more money and get waders that have a good warranty and workmanship. I go with the basic waders from LL Bean. They have a lifetime warranty and they have held up to weekly surf fishing trips for over three years. Sims waders are also quality waders but a bit more expensive. You can find them on ebay used for a good price, the warranty is transferable. My next pair of waders will be Sims waders.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »

Do I have to get white crocs??

Only if you want to be a baller!  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »
Waders are a must in winter, especially where your fishing chad. That's brutal.

Stocking foot all the way with crocks. Boot foots are clunky.

Wear whatever you want under. I bundle up pretty good.

Being miserably cold when fishing sucks, I much rather be warm and toasty ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Also, I wear shorts and socks underneath during the summer and sweats late fall early winter. Dead of winter when it's at its coldest, I'll also add thermals to wear under the sweats for added warmth and bring some one time use hand warmers I bought from Big 5. Can also activate the hand warmers and stick them in the chest pocket of the waders for added warming for the core area.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:03 AM »
I cast the "Off The Ground" style, so no need for me to get into deeper water.  I wear hip boots with insulated LL Bean pants underneath.  The pants are holdover from my days up north.  Being an "elder", I pee several times a session.  I like hip boots rather than taking down waders   ;D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCAI9G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:24:26 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »
I cast the "Off The Ground" style, so no need for me to get into deeper water.  I wear hip boots with insulated LL Bean pants underneath.  The pants are holdover from my days up north.  Being an "elder", I pee several times a session.  I like hip boots rather than taking down waders   ;D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCAI9G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here you go Verne!!

https://dryftfishing.com/shop/primo-zip-front-wader/
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
I finally ditched the board shorts and succumbed to the funky long pants. made a huge difference. Look out for sales. Think i paid $80 for the pants and $30 bucks for the shoes from cabelas. No looking back.