Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger  (Read 4658 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Pulled the Trigger
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
After getting my ass kicked like a little bitch yesterday I couldn't stand it anymore, so I pulled the trigger. Penn Fathom 40 Star Drag paired with a Penn Battalion 12' Heavy.

If you see me on the beach, run. I haven't cast a conventional in over 40 years ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled the Trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
I have the same combo except I have the 30. The fathoms can tend to spin pretty fast. If you find your having difficulty, I can send you pics of how I added static mags to mine to help control the spool. I have mine dialed in so that I rarely even need to touch the spool except at splashdown.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
Agree. I use two brakes and light thumb. Usually do fine but blow up a cast now and then. Especially trying to rush a cast.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »
I have the same combo except I have the 30. The fathoms can tend to spin pretty fast. If you find your having difficulty, I can send you pics of how I added static mags to mine to help control the spool. I have mine dialed in so that I rarely even need to touch the spool except at splashdown.

I'd love to see the pics!

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 06:34:20 AM »
Agree. I use two brakes and light thumb. Usually do fine but blow up a cast now and then. Especially trying to rush a cast.

When you say blow up a cast now and then, are we talking about some loose line you can work out walking it back to the rod holder or one of these?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »

When you say blow up a cast now and then, are we talking about some loose line you can work out walking it back to the rod holder or one of these?

Usually just minor stuff I can pull out with varying levels of difficulty.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
That pic is my Saltist 20 and braid.  >:(The Saltist 40 is fine.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
So here is how I magged my 2 Fathom 30's.

Bear in mind, due to its design, there is very little clearance between the spool and frame.
I had to use very small magnets in order to make it fit.
The magnets I used are 6mm x 1mm N50 Neodymium magnets.
Basically, I took a very small zinc coated washer and cut in 1/2 to use as a magnet mount.
Instead of epoxy, I actually used super glue gel (this seems to work just as well for this application) to affix the 1/2 washer to the inner reel frame.
For the 30's it took 3 magnets to get the control where I wanted with my setups. The reels centrifugal brakes can be adjusted to fine tune the control as well.

Since I use Braid and mostly fish longrods at night, I wanted as much control as possible without sacrificing much distance.
Mine are tuned to the point that I don't need to thumb the spool until right before splashdown 9/10 casts (assuming no wind).
If the wind is in my face, then I need thumb more often due to the increased deceleration of the payload.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
On my Sealine 50 I just set up, I made a custom adjustable mag for it.  Since I'm still learning to cast conventionals, I wanted to be able to make adjustments as needed without opening it up.  The difference in resistance with the mag turned in vs. turned out is pretty amazing, and there's a lot in between. I've still got it turned most of the way in, but I'm already getting better distance than with my spinning gear. I've static magged several other reels and I like this set up way better.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:51:40 PM by xjchad »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »
I sent mine out to get magged. I got a knobby installed & you’re right Fishjerk about the lack of clearance. I had to get a Torque spool to create enough clearance to get the knobby installed. It costed a little more, but I love having the ability of adjusting the drag on the fly. My only issue is the height of the reel. I don’t have big hands so being able to put my thumb on the spool to apply enough pressure to prevent the spool from slipping during the cast has proven difficult.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:12:25 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
This is torture. I hate waiting >:(

I want my new toy now ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
This is torture. I hate waiting >:(

I want my new toy now ;D

;D ;D

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »
I sent mine out to get magged. I got a knobby installed & you’re right Fishjerk about the lack of clearance. I had to get a Torque spool to create enough clearance to get the knobby installed. It costed a little more, but I love having the ability of adjusting the drag on the fly. My only issue is the height of the reel. I don’t have big hands so being able to put my thumb on the spool to apply enough pressure to prevent the spool from slipping during the cast has proven difficult.

Where did you send yours and how much did it cost?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »

Sent PM
Where did you send yours and how much did it cost?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)