Author Topic: If you want to throw big chunks of bait  (Read 4123 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
If you want to throw big chunks of bait
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
Going to suggest two things for throwing big chunks of bait. 1) Heavy Bait Clips and 2) Heavy Bait Elastic. The bait clips make attaching weights easy and will handle a good sized piece of bait and still have room to secure your hook for casting. Not going to give you an extra 20 yards, but it definitely helps keep your bait on and makes for a solid cast. The bait elastic ties the bait to the hook, which really helps keep it on your hook when casting and helps keep it together longer when the bait thieves are pecking at it. $6 for 5 bait hooks and $3 for the elastic, both available online at http://terrafirmatackle.com/.

Anybody have an emergency beer?

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: If you want to throw big chunks of bait
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
Does this clip go above the weight?
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
This clip would be used with a 3 way rig or a pulley rig. You use the clip to attach the weight to the sinker leg of the leader.

For a 3 way rig, you must make sure that the sinker leg is longer than the hook and leader side. The clip will allow you to hang the weight from the bend of the hook. This allows the weight and bait to be cast as a single projectile to reduce air resistance and pinwheeling. Theoretically, once the weight and and bait hit bottom, they should unclip. In reality, there will be the occasional time that they fail to separate. Unfortuneately, you typically wont know until you check your bait.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »
This clip would be used with a 3 way rig or a pulley rig. You use the clip to attach the weight to the sinker leg of the leader.

For a 3 way rig, you must make sure that the sinker leg is longer than the hook and leader side. The clip will allow you to hang the weight from the bend of the hook. This allows the weight and bait to be cast as a single projectile to reduce air resistance and pinwheeling. Theoretically, once the weight and and bait hit bottom, they should unclip. In reality, there will be the occasional time that they fail to separate. Unfortuneately, you typically wont know until you check your bait.

I’ve had them not unclip unfortunately.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
Does this clip go above the weight?

Yes, you use it to clip your weights on/off.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »

I love the simplicity 8)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »

Me too with the Gemini clips and Breakaway Splashdowns. But this is so simple it's basically bomb proof ;D

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »

Me too with the Gemini clips and Breakaway Splashdowns. But this is so simple it's basically bomb proof ;D

It is basically modeled after the original style Gemini clips.

http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/product-popup.asp?height=620&width=520&id=6255&img_ext1=jpg

All clipdown methods will misfire occasionally.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
I like the breakaway impact clips but I run a loop of 50lb mono from the hook to the clip. It holds better and always comes off even with a clip like that. They make throwing 8ft pulley rigs a lot easier.
Keep it tight