Author Topic: Socked In (11/25)  (Read 3667 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Socked In (11/25)
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
My buddy was crushing big yellowfin and bluefin tuna this past weekend on his boat, but wouldn't give up his location.  I had too much going on anyways, but did a quick half-day trip on Saturday to check out the local scene.

It was beautiful out when I left my house, but turned into pea soup fog down at the water.  I launched and was navigating by my plotter/gps.  I was wanting to head to La Jolla, but couldn't see in front of me and didn't want to run over one of the millions of lobster pots. 

I started throwing the small megabait and started picking up some bass.  All calico, and all about 12" long.  I think I caught a dozen of them before I moved up another mile up the line.

I tossed the megabait out again and bam! It was a nice bonito!

I ended up with 3 and dumped two others.  The bonito were occasionally blowing up around me, but not super aggressive on the artificial.  It was starting to clear up a bit and I decided to run up to LaJolla.  I should have been checking my plotter as I was running since I ran into a super thick kelp forest and pretty much got stuck.  I kept trying to get out, but the alarms on my motor were going off every time.  Finally, I saw my chance and took the inside route and had to make a long loop around to get back to the outside.

The south wind started to pick up and surprisingly still didn't blow off the fog bank.  I found a shallow water rock pile... more like a single big rock and worked the motor the entire time to stay over it.  I cut a few squid strips and put it on the megabait.  There were clouds of fish down there.  I caught a bunch of assorted rockfish and nice sized Whitefish!  I didn't take a whole lot of pics of the fish as I was having a hard time combating the wind with the motor so I didn't lose such a great rock!

I also caught a half a dozen of the smallest sheepshead I've seen!  The smallest was about 7" and the biggest was right at the 12" mark

I kept my limit of bottom critters and all on the megabait to boot!  I lost a few to sea lions and tossed a few really small ones back, but decided to troll on the way home since I wanted to harvest my daily quota.

I wasn't getting anything and wanted to stay away from the crowd, so I ran shallow to throw the big plastic.  I wanted a halibut and scored one!  It was only   17 inches or so.  I got one more bass and started to troll the shallow water with a deep diving rapala just to see if I could score on a hunch.
Unfortunately I didn't, but still had a great morning of fishing.  I love eating whitefish, so was pretty stoked to get a good amount of nice sized ones especially in such shallow water!

Well, that was my day.  Fun one indeed, even though it was not the huge yellowfin and bluefin my buddy was catching.  Mine were far from being huge, but a few of the whitefish were in the upper 3# range or bigger. 

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Socked In (11/25)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
I wish I had a boat  :'(
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
I wish I had a boat  :'(

Me too!  :'(

Nice going Tom!  Sure sounds like fun!!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
White fish are high on my "like to eat" list also Tom, glad you got out.  Respect, Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LandlockedinUT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
Tom, That looks like a LOT of fun!  It kinda sounds like you need a fishing buddy to help you stay over that rock!  Just saying...  It's been a while since I visited your site, it looks awesome and looks like its growing like gangbusters!  I'll be visiting more often now.  Maybe throw up a few trout posts...

Jim

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »
Nice meat haul!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »
Tom, That looks like a LOT of fun!  It kinda sounds like you need a fishing buddy to help you stay over that rock!  Just saying...  It's been a while since I visited your site, it looks awesome and looks like its growing like gangbusters!  I'll be visiting more often now.  Maybe throw up a few trout posts...

Jim
Great seeing you on here again Jim! Wow, a blast from the past.
As for someone to help me stay over the spot, haha, funny. They would still have me do everything so they could fish.   ;D

When you coming back out to Cali?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
White fish are high on my "like to eat" list also Tom, glad you got out.  Respect, Verne

2X (White Fish.....Yumm)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

LandlockedinUT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »

Jim
Great seeing you on here again Jim! Wow, a blast from the past.
As for someone to help me stay over the spot, haha, funny. They would still have me do everything so they could fish.   ;D

When you coming back out to Cali?

You are probably right about the buddy...   ;)  I definitely need to plan a Cali trip soon...  Its been way too long since I have fished the Pacific.  Just got back from a week long trip to the Gulf of Mexico in Corpus Christi/Port Aransas in mid October.  Greg Wheeler and I had a blast!  Caught over 26 species in 3 days!

I need to plan a Cali trip when I can expect to catch the greatest variety of fish.  Any suggestions?  Sept-Oct??  I'll keep you posted.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:09:15 PM »
I want to ride ...  ;D

Our boat gone. Promise i won't break anything this time...  :( :(