Author Topic: Huge Mule Deer!  (Read 8310 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Huge Mule Deer!
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
Well, just kidding. I'm a little surprised there are no hunters on here. Oh well... Just trying to see if anyone hunts.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Mule Deer!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:14 PM »
I have not hunted in a long time but have been wanting to start bow hunting and trapping. I have been mointoring craigslist and ebay for some good used bows for awhile but have not pulled the trigger. I purchased all of my camping gear before summer started in anticipation of deer season this year but still not there.
#MAGA

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »
I always wanted to get into hunting.  Even did the Hunter Safety Course.  Never had the time though.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
Hunted the majority of my life Tom, but when I moved to LA seven years ago it came to a halt.  Someday I'll be back north, and then.............................................. 8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Hunted in Texas almost the whole time I was there, loved Turkey and Dove hunting as well as Whitetail. The feral hogs threw in some regular spice to the mix as well....LOL
Found a pair of shed antlers one spring on our lease and shot my personal best buck that fall, was showing off the european mount of the buck as well as the sheds to a neighbor and was stunned to realize the were from the same buck!!!!!!!

Miss the hunting but California is a bit too expensive for my wallet to pick up again!
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

GARLICSALT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 07:36:51 AM »
My first post here, nice to see a hunting section. just finished up a great duck season mostly hunting with my wife and keeping distant from my super spreader buddies. our last day was 1/30 and we went 4 cinn teal 2 widgeon 6 spoony's kind of bitter sweet when it's over but it was a great season. Look forward to fishing reports and reporting.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 07:51:25 AM »
Always wanted to get into it, never did. I hunt the pests on my property year round.....Squirrels, rabbits and rattle snakes, not for consumption but to keep them rodents out of my wood pile and garden. The rattle snakes just need to stay away but they don't seem to listen, just like the other two  ;D

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
Does shooting them with a 500MM lens count???

SNBF VI  Winner

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
That's a beauty Joe! He should be shedding by now or really soon so go back and check for the sheds!

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
The area in question is HIGHLY travelled! I will be making some scouting trips to be safe though. I have a pair of sheds found 30 yards apart from a big Whitetail I got the year after I found them! Didn't even realize they were from the same dear until I was showing a friend the sheds and then the European mount skull....WILD!!!

SNBF VI  Winner

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 05:36:00 AM »
The area in question is HIGHLY travelled! I will be making some scouting trips to be safe though. I have a pair of sheds found 30 yards apart from a big Whitetail I got the year after I found them! Didn't even realize they were from the same dear until I was showing a friend the sheds and then the European mount skull....WILD!!!

No white tail here unless you found them in another state which I presume.  California has 6 sub-species of mule deer depending on location, but San Diego is only known for the Southern Mulie.

Here's the breakdown if you are ever on a hunt for pictures in other parts of the state.

COLUMBIAN BLACK-TAILED DEER are the most populous subspecies of deer in the California. Habitat ranges from the coastal mountains of Oregon to near Santa Barbara, within the Western slope of the Cascade- Sierra Nevada range and along the Sierra Nevada Foothills.

Second in population is the CALIFORNIA MULE DEER whose typical habitat runs along the West slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MULE DEER rank third in population and are also the largest subspecies of deer in California. Present throughout the Western United States, Rocky Mountain Mule Deer can be found in Lassen, Shasta, Siskiyou & Modoc Counties of California.

SOUTHERN MULE DEER take residence in Orange, Riverside and San Diego Counties. Inyo, Kern & Mono counties are prime habitat for the INYO MULE DEER.

BURRO MULE DEER habitat straddles the California-Arizona border, as the subspecies inhabits Imperial, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 02:56:03 PM »
Sorry should have clarified, whitetail was when I was living in Texas.

SNBF VI  Winner

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 03:54:33 PM »
Sorry should have clarified, whitetail was when I was living in Texas.

I figured, but decided to share for the guys who were new to it.