Author Topic: SB Leo  (Read 5595 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: SB Leo
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
What bait are you using for the Leo's? You have put some big ones on the sand. I have just been getting the the baby's all under 12" on the critter rod and would love to get a nice sized one. They don't seem to touch my long rod.

You have to stop with the double hook drop rig and go with either a fish finder or better yet a 3' 3 way with at least a 10/0 hook and a serious chunk of bait, preferably a nice juicy mac head or bonito head.

Big bait, big fish ;D

I love that double drop, just need to make them longer. I think I am going to make up a 6 foot one ;D

Hey Jay, I got this one on a fresh Mac head...If I catch a Leo at night it’s just 7gill by catch taken on the bait and rig I’m using for them. Now if I am targeting Leo’s during daylight hours I’ll use for bait whatever I can muster on a light rod in the surf ie: croaker, perch or what I got my PB on was a whole 10” Corbina.
BTW I gave up on the double dropper rig when I couldn’t find a good way to transition wire leader to the dropper loops without it getting all twisted up

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
What bait are you using for the Leo's? You have put some big ones on the sand. I have just been getting the the baby's all under 12" on the critter rod and would love to get a nice sized one. They don't seem to touch my long rod.

You have to stop with the double hook drop rig and go with either a fish finder or better yet a 3' 3 way with at least a 10/0 hook and a serious chunk of bait, preferably a nice juicy mac head or bonito head.

Big bait, big fish ;D

I love that double drop, just need to make them longer. I think I am going to make up a 6 foot one ;D

Hey Jay, I got this one on a fresh Mac head...If I catch a Leo at night it’s just 7gill by catch taken on the bait and rig I’m using for them. Now if I am targeting Leo’s during daylight hours I’ll use for bait whatever I can muster on a light rod in the surf ie: croaker, perch or what I got my PB on was a whole 10” Corbina.
BTW I gave up on the double dropper rig when I couldn’t find a good way to transition wire leader to the dropper loops without it getting all twisted up

Thanks, The small ones were always taking the squid so I was trying to target bigger ones with larger squid. I always have a critter rod out for bait so will keep trying with my critter catch.

I know what you mean on the twist with the double drop, that's what I was trying to figure out but have not found a way to counter it either. I was thinking maybe shrink wrap or wrapping it with electrical tape might help, or those three ways that have a wire leg, for lack of a better term, that stick out like 3-4 inches might keep the leader far enough away from the main rig line to keep it from twisting.
#MAGA

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »

Big bait, big fish ;D

Thanks, The small ones were always taking the squid so I was trying to target bigger ones with larger squid. I always have a critter rod out for bait so will keep trying with my critter catch.

I know what you mean on the twist with the double drop, that's what I was trying to figure out but have not found a way to counter it either. I was thinking maybe shrink wrap or wrapping it with electrical tape might help, or those three ways that have a wire leg, for lack of a better term, that stick out like 3-4 inches might keep the leader far enough away from the main rig line to keep it from twisting.

Go with the defaults. If your 3-way has a part that sticks out, it's going to increase aerodynamic drag on your casts. I stopped using the drop loop a long time ago. Found it way more productive to use ghost leaders. And you can catch bigger fish with the ghost leader because you can use 40lb to 60lb mono. I've caught 41" bat rays on a 1/0 ghost leader. No way that's going to happen with those WalMart drop rigs. Not to mention you don't have to futz with a bunch of crimps and hardware. Swivel, 18" of line, hook, you're done. You can throw it with an egg sinker so that it moves or use a slider and a triangle or sputnik if you want it to stay put.
Anybody have an emergency beer?