Author Topic: Missed my chance (AGAIN)  (Read 4630 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Missed my chance (AGAIN)
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:58:58 AM »
With obligations growing at home, I'm finding it harder and harder to get time on the water.  Yesterday was my shot, so Denny and Tony agreed to a trip last night.  With the brutal winds we decided to cheat and fish from the pier.  After about an hour my rod twitched for a few seconds and then started to run line off.  Engaged the reel and briefly felt the pull and it went slack.  Reeled like hell for a few seconds and it was on, head shakes and a blistering run.  Had about a five minute tug o war, with it changing directions several times.  I've only hooked two 7 gills (caught one) , this felt completely different.
Much faster and twice it ran straight toward me.  Then I felt the gut wrenching "Ping" and it was over, it wore through my shock leader.  I've had several people tell me 60 lb is too light and I'm tending to think they are correct.  Ordered some 100 lb Big Game this morning........................
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:55:38 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Re: Missed my chance
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »
Well, at least you got a taste, and the rest of us know something is still out there and on the chew in December.

Bummer about the busted rub leader and prayers for your parents.

Chip
Anybody have an emergency beer?

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »
With obligations growing at home with my parents, I'm finding it harder and harder to get time on the water.  Yesterday was my shot, so Denny and Tony agreed to a trip last night.  With the brutal winds we decided to cheat and fish from the pier.  After about an hour my rod twitched for a few seconds and then started to run line off.  Engaged the reel and briefly felt the pull and it went slack.  Reeled like hell for a few seconds and it was on, head shakes and a blistering run.  Had about a five minute tug o war, with it changing directions several times.  I've only hooked two 7 gills (caught one) , this felt completely different.
Much faster and twice it ran straight toward me.  Then I felt the gut wrenching "Ping" and it was over, it wore through my shock leader.  I've had several people tell me 60 lb is too light and I'm tending to think they are correct.  Ordered some 100 lb Big Game this morning........................

Great report Vern, sorry to hear you couldn't beach that one. But there are more in your future my friend. My prayers go out as well to your parents!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »

Great report Vern, sorry to hear you couldn't beach that one. But there are more in your future my friend. My prayers go out as well to your parents!

X2!  Glad you were able to get out for a bit Verne!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Sounds very soupfin-ish to me. Always a terrible feeling!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
Sounds very soupfin-ish to me. Always a terrible feeling!!

I was about to say the same thing. ^^^^^

Glad you got out Verne, but bummer on the lost grinner.  I've tried 60#, but it is too light.  80# works great most of the time.  I'm using 100#, but the knot is pretty big.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
Bummer brother V , you guys are really finnese fishing for them toothy ones. I fish one rod with 20ft of 150lb shock and 340yds of 80lb braid, next rod 20ft of 300lb shock and over 400yds of 80lb braid and i honestly think im still finesse-ing them myself. Been broken off multiple times on 150 specially by big 7’s , nothing withstands the nasty rolls and tail slaps of a big cow shark.
I landed my biggest 7 at 100-105” on 80lb shock though , the leader broke in my hand after landing the fish.

Im back to Socal btw, lets link up an fish !
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:06:04 AM by EdgarP9 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Missed my chance (AGAIN)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
Went back out last night armed with 80lb shock leader.  This one felt 7ish, slower initial run.  Then I felt it roll and the head shakes became rapid tail slaps.  Then the familiar "Ping", wore through the shock leader in about 30 seconds after the roll.  I'm 2 for 2   :(

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
Went back out last night armed with 80lb shock leader.  This one felt 7ish, slower initial run.  Then I felt it roll and the head shakes became rapid tail slaps.  Then the familiar "Ping", wore through the shock leader in about 30 seconds after the roll.  I'm 2 for 2   :(

Damn! Is the break off occurring on the rub leader? The only positive I see from this is you're obviously where you need to be. Strike while the iron is hot and pound the heck out of that spot until you finally beach one!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Damn! Is the break off occurring on the rub leader? The only positive I see from this is you're obviously where you need to be. Strike while the iron is hot and pound the heck out of that spot until you finally beach one!!

About three or four feet above the 3 way (I use about 20' of shock leader), and it feels like sand paper. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:01:04 AM by vdisney »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
What brand mono is the shock leader Verne?
I've had my 80# and 100# shock leaders pretty torn up before, but the only time I've had it broken off was on structure.
I'm using Berkely Big Game.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »
I'm going to try out 200lb shock leader this weekend ;D

I have a bunch of 200 lb if someone wants me to cut them off a length to try.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »

About three or four feet above the 3 way (I use about 20' of shock leader), and it feels like sand paper.

This about what I use and had only break off and Binh was present for it. That one was a prolonged fight though with the 7gill rolling around in a trough with 3-4' complicating things. I've actually landed more grinners without the use of a rub leader. I've only recently started using one. Luck of the draw I guess... 
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
I definitely feel for you. I'm 0 and 4.  Once I got the weed whacked line for a rub leader I've gotten one pick up but it dropped the bait. Just got to keep trying when you can.

-Keith

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
Hey Verne, looking back now do you still think these were soups or 7s?