Author Topic: road trip to Baja 2018  (Read 4438 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
road trip to Baja 2018
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
With the end of the year fast approaching I'm beginning to think about my 2018 plans.  I would like to go to Mexico at least once.  I'm open to flying to a town where costs aren't too high (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc) and boat fishing like I did in Acapulco this past February (http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=2184.0).  However, I'd also like to do a road trip down to Baja and fish from shore and from my kayak.

I have some notes from bigminnowfisher about San Felipe, but apparently fishing is all but shut down there now to protect the totoaba and vaquita.  So, I have my eye on going further south to Gonzaga Bay.  It's conservatively about an 8 hr drive from San Diego.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Diego,+CA/Alfonsinas,+Bah%C3%ADa+San+Luis+Gonzaga,+B.C.,+Mexico/@31.319633,-116.9009131,414314m/am=t/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738!1m5!1m1!1s0x812e6f630652e235:0xcbecd163a9eaad42!2m2!1d-114.3955489!2d29.8074223!3e0

I'm posting to this to see if anyone else would like to team up for a trip like this.  Ideally I'd like to have a 2 vehicle caravan for safety and to deal with any potential roadside issues.  I have two fishing kayaks that I can carry on top of my Subaru.

Here's a chart of sport fish in the Gonzaga Bay area.  It looks like April would be an ideal time to go.

Also, there's almost zero info online about fishing for sharks in Baja.  I would definitely be interesting in soaking big baits in sharky looking spots at night.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: road trip to Baja 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »
You won't regret going to Gonzaga. Havent been in 20 years so no info, but it was awesome then.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
I fished San Felipe last year from shore, caught a lot of puffer fish, Guitar Fish, and corvina. Took a panga out and caught like 20 corvina and a big sting ray. No crazy big waves and would be easy to launch a yak from. The only bad thing was at low tide the water went out like 1/2 a mile. I followed it out once and was fishing it only to turn around and find it was filling in behind me fast with out realizing it and almost got caught out there.  Big tide swings like -4 to +20. Kool place though, we rented a house right on the beach and could fish from the patio during high tide.

I think Gonzaga Bay is where the multi day fishing trip out of San Felipe head to.

Once you get through Mexacali it is just open two way road all the way through the desert. We always rent a car when we go down, I would not take my personal vehicle down there. It is only sketchy in the border towns.

#MAGA

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
If you do San Felipe I would be down. I would have the wife and kids in tow but my wife's relatives are the ones that own the house down there. Its a tri-plex with 2 units upstairs (Both 2 bedroom/1 bath, Kitchen) and a unit downstairs (3 bedroom / 2 bath, kitchen). We would still have to rent it but we would get family rates, can sleep up to 14. The back patio during high tide is like 15' away from mean high tide.

Who thought marrying a Filipina would get me a discounts from an Italian on a property in Mexico.
#MAGA

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Jayray, thanks for the info!  That's awesome that you have family connections down there.

I've been hearing that the government is trying to stop pangas from going out, and even paying them a stipend not to fish.  Is there a way you could ask your wife's relatives what the deal is?  I'm interested in San Felipe, because I think it would be doable for a 3-day weekend.  Gonzaga Bay would be better for a 4-day weekend.

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
Let me see what I can find out. They dont live there just own the property there and rent it out to tourists. I think I have the info for the guy that manages it and he lives there so he will know more. I'll shoot him an email. Its always been a fishing village, seems without fishing the economy there would collapse.

You wont need a fishing license from shore, and can use just one rod. I am not sure if you will need a license to fish from a yak, not sure how they classify it but need one to fish from a boat.
#MAGA

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »
and a big sting ray

What kind of ray?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
I'd love to do a road trip down there sometime.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
I'd love to do it, but I'm afraid to think of what that kitchen pass would cost me. Last time I did a fishing road trip my wife got bored and bought a new Mercedes Benz ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
I'd be interested, but can't drive my own vehicle. My 2004 Honda Accord is on it's last legs at over 250,000 miles. Problems are happening more often. Give me solid dates and I'll ask the wife.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
I'd be interested, but can't drive my own vehicle. My 2004 Honda Accord is on it's last legs at over 250,000 miles. Problems are happening more often. Give me solid dates and I'll ask the wife.

Here's where we're at so far:

- I'll volunteer my Subaru and 2 fishing kayaks.  Shotgun seat is open for one passenger.
 - We need a 2nd vehicle.  AWD/4WD is not required but would be a good idea.
 - If we don't bring additional kayaks/boats, then the people who aren't using kayaks can go out in a panga.  I'd like to do both.
 - I'm free any of the weekends in April or May.
 - We can take Fri/Mon, Thur/Fri, or Mon/Tue off to make a 4-day weekend.
 - There are camping and hotel options.  We'll make the trip budget friendly.

Responses so far:
 - Tom is interested, but it sounds like he has other big trips planned for the year, so he may not be able to say yes to this.
 - JayRay is interested if we stay in San Felipe.  Maybe we can split our time between San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay?
 - Mike is interested but can't volunteer a vehicle.
 - I can probably talk one of my species fishing friends (Ken, Eli, etc) into coming.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
If we go April 19th and return by April 22nd. I maybe able to go.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
If we go April 19th and return by April 22nd. I maybe able to go.

If you drive, you can come with us.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »
That little red Honda is going to be kicking ass and taking names down there, haha.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Trip report coming soon!