Author Topic: Ribeye madness  (Read 2556 times)

WasWheresMyBeer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Ribeye madness
« on: November 17, 2021, 12:32:02 AM »
Prices are crazy right now ... thanks to whomever.

So... - I've been cooking Ribeye on a grill with a timer for years and always comes out bomb. When you get it down, steak houses can't compete and you'll never order out again. All depends on the size of the cut of course but typically what I get from Ralphs is an inch to a Inch/half. Set my grill hot like 500. Clean the grates and coat with olive oil. I use a double paper towel folded like a paint brush and wipe the entire grate with oil from a cup. Steaks are patted dry and I coat with generous salt. Like make it snow with fine grain sea salt both sides. Once the grill is at temp, drop the steaks in the same direction and set phone timer for 2.5 minutes close lib. Microwave some butter to baste on each turn. Once alarm goes off, quarter turn on each steak and give a butter baste close lib. Timer goes for 2 minutes. Once alarm goes flip all steaks over with another quarter turn and baste again close lid. 2 minute timer on next side close lid. Once that timer goes one final quarter turn and 2 more minutes on the timer. so 2.5x2x2x2 basting where you can. Finally pull steaks off into large tin foil pouch folds to rest individually. I like to add 3 slices of butter to the steaks inside the tin foil pouch to create a sauce with the streak juice as it rests. A little pepper at this point doesn't hurt either. Let sit for 5-7 minutes and pull the steaks out. Pour juices over top and enjoy. Again with timer 2.5min turn 2 min flip and turn 2 min turn 2 min. Should be med if you keep the grill hot.

Thought I'd share since tis the season. My kids always say nothing like your steaks dad when thy eat out, and are alway requesting the ribeye. I've gotten to the point of religiously using my phone timer for the moves. Don't fear fire either. flares help if they happen.

Enjoy!
Dave

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Ribeye madness
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 05:23:02 AM »
For a while there last year and at the beginning of this year, I was buying big slabs of ribeye and butchering it myself.  Only way I felt like I was getting a deal and cutting some awesome bigger steaks for my new grill.  I went back to get another slab a few weeks ago and the price doubled, if not more.  YIKES!

Sounds like a great recipe Dave.  Gonna have to try it the next time.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
Drooling

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 03:46:19 PM »
 Sounds really good, Time to raise a cow and enjoy some home grown steaks 8)