Author Topic: Gonna take up badminton  (Read 3909 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Gonna take up badminton
« on: December 21, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »
Returned to the scene of the crime this morning with Andre.  4 1/2 hours without a bump, and brutal cold to boot.  About 10:00 I get hit, hookup lasted about 30 seconds when my knot failed at the swivel, tried using a Palomar.  Re tied, this time with a good old cinch.  Got picked up again and this time it was on.  Saw the fish on top for a few seconds then it headed out to sea.  Around 200 yards of line and a 10 minute fight, one more time..............."PING".  Once again, the line had that little piggy tail on it.  I've never had knot failure like this before, but then again I've never tied 80 LB mono.  As it stands right now, I'm 6 for 6 in 2 weeks................................advice gladly excepted.    >:(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Gonna take up badminton
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
Returned to the scene of the crime this morning with Andre.  4 1/2 hours without a bump, and brutal cold to boot.  About 10:00 I get hit, hookup lasted about 30 seconds when my knot failed at the swivel, tried using a Palomar.  Re tied, this time with a good old cinch.  Got picked up again and this time it was on.  Saw the fish on top for a few seconds then it headed out to sea.  Around 200 yards of line and a 10 minute fight, one more time..............."PING".  Once again, the line had that little piggy tail on it.  I've never had knot failure like this before, but then again I've never tied 80 LB mono.  As it stands right now, I'm 6 for 6 in 2 weeks................................advice gladly excepted.    >:(

Verne, explain you're rig in detail please. As for me, I have about 50-100yds of 40lb mono topshot and the rest is 50lb or 80lb braid (depending on which reel I use) and that's it for line on the reel. My 100lb rub leader is pretty short compared to most people on here, with it being typically no more than 3' long. That leader is always part of my shark rigs already. I know some have a longer length of rub leader that spliced onto the line coming off of their reel. That make sense??

As far as knots, I won't use a Palomar knot on anything over 30lb test. From there I use a San Diego Jam knot. I only use a clinch knot for mackerel fishing from piers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:19:18 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
How many turns did you do on the clinch knot with 80 lb mono?  The heaviest line I tie knots with is 60 lb, and I do 3 complete turns.  The crucial step after that is to put on a pair of gloves and tighten the knot with enough force to make the line harden.  I'll also pull on the tag end with a pair of pliers - but not too hard or it may mess the knot up.

If your knot didn't work harden, there's a good chance that's why it pulled.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
The San Diego jam is intended for heavy line where a Palomar can't tighten well.

If deckhands on tuna boats use that is what I will too.

I run 80 braid to 80 lb mono rub with an FG knot, to rig with 175 lb wire 10/0 12/0 hook.

May step the mono to 100lb flouro for a hair more abrasion resistance.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:22:09 PM by spideyjg »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
I use a 3 turn uni knot for my 80lb sinker and swivel connections. I'm satisfied with it.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
Verne, explain you're rig in detail please

65 lb main line, 25' 80 lb mono via FG to 3 way swivel.  Off the swivel 135lb wire to 10/0 hook & 60 lb mono to the sinker.  My problem is where the shock leader is tied to the three way.

I use a 3 turn uni knot for my 80lb sinker and swivel connections. I'm satisfied with it.

That was my next thought Steve, it's my go to knot when fishing tuna or YT
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:57:30 PM by vdisney »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »
Maybe a fresh shock leader. Sometimes I have one that is abraded and breaks when I tighten the knot. I don't always notice it just by looking.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
Maybe a fresh shock leader. Sometimes I have one that is abraded and breaks when I tighten the knot. I don't always notice it just by looking.

After Tuesday's problems I am replacing the shock leader the night before every trip.  Mono is cheap, loosing fish sucks.  So as I understand you, you tie your shock leader to the swivel via a 3 turn uni?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

After Tuesday's problems I am replacing the shock leader the night before every trip.  Mono is cheap, loosing fish sucks.  So as I understand you, you tie your shock leader to the swivel via a 3 turn uni?

Yes. Also to sinker. Can't recall breaking a knot, easy to tie, stronger than my drag setting. When I break off it is usually my 40lb mono that gives.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
I keep hearing "wire" leader. Are you saying single strand wire or are you using multi strand cable? Single strand will fatigue as it is bent back and forth, like s paper clip. Multi strand Cable won't fatigue and it is harder to cut thru.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
I keep hearing "wire" leader. Are you saying single strand wire or are you using multi strand cable? Single strand will fatigue as it is bent back and forth, like s paper clip. Multi strand Cable won't fatigue and it is harder to cut thru.

Multi strand wire 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

TerraFirmaTackle

• Shovelnose
  • The Ultimate Tackle for the Ultimate Gamefish
    • View Profile
    • Terra Firma Tackle
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:04:22 AM »

Definitely not single strand for fish like this. Too much potential for jumping and twisting during a multi-hour slugfest =  too much potential for fatiguing the rig.

However multi-strand cable eventually wears through one strand at a time on really long fights.

Best bet if you dont need flexibility is a 1x7 product rather than the popular 7x7 49-strand stuff, kind of the bet of both worlds

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »

Definitely not single strand for fish like this. Too much potential for jumping and twisting during a multi-hour slugfest =  too much potential for fatiguing the rig.

However multi-strand cable eventually wears through one strand at a time on really long fights.

Best bet if you dont need flexibility is a 1x7 product rather than the popular 7x7 49-strand stuff, kind of the bet of both worlds

Agreed.  I stopped using the 7x7 stuff a while back and started using the 1x7.  Much better wire for our applications.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
Agreed.  I stopped using the 7x7 stuff a while back and started using the 1x7.  Much better wire for our applications.

Glad I read this, I was going to order some 49 strand on the advice of another.  Mine is all 7 strand, I'll stick with what I have   ;)