Author Topic: Bah, Humbug!! (12-21-17)  (Read 2462 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Bah, Humbug!! (12-21-17)
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
I can't wait for Spring! The winter doldrums are slowly killing me.  Usual Thursday night sesh for Binh and I with Ben and Josh completing the rag tag crew. 1st location got the thumbs down from Binh just as I was walking onto the beach due to kelp. Ben wanted to tough it out while Binh and I made the move.

New location was much better for activity, but there was a long stretch of water extending about 20' feet that was just loaded with broken up surf grass and kelp. But once you got past that, it was smooth sailing. Every single bait was absolutely mauled boy critters. Mack heads were coming back hollowed out, middle sections came back just skin, and the tails came back just bones. It was a stay close to your rod kind of night. I beat the skunk with a 17" calico and the was kind enough to join me for dinner in spite of the "slow to grow" protests from Josh from a distance. Well, there always has to be one... you know... "that guy"... Too bad there wasn't any trees nearby for him to hug, a dog to pet, or a bug to catch and set free in a safe area to ease the pain of the calico slaughter he was witnessing  ;)

So I beat the skunk. Josh smoked the skunked. Binh didn't go home totally disappointed... Ben, how'd you fair? Nights are cold to down right freezing. Multiple layers are key. I've even started using my Big 5 bought hand warmer packs, just tear open the package and it's immediately activated. Warm hands are happy hands.I know our winters aren't really winters, but I'm already over the cold. I'm Filipino, I was born in the tropics!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Bah, Humbug!! (12-21-17)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Cool. If I go out Saturday to steal the rod, you've been planning for, I can get dinner too. ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:41:46 AM by spideyjg »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
Nice calico, wish I could catch one, or anything really...
I'm right there with you Mike, I love the cold in every way except when on the beach fishing  :-\

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Nice Calico! See you guys in 2018!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
Nice calico, wish I could catch one, or anything really...
I'm right there with you Mike, I love the cold in every way except when on the beach fishing  :-\

Jim, I don’t even think about that. Goal is to be in first for the shark list.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
Warm hands are happy hands.I know our winters aren't really winters, but I'm already over the cold.

Check out the fleece gloves from Duluth Trading Company that allow you to tap a cell phone. They're only about $20, warm, comfy, and you can easily reel in a fish or use your phone with them on. I've had mine for a couple of years now. We don't need them that often, but when we do it sure is nice to have them on hand ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
I have my fleece lined pants for the deep winter fishing. Warm hat, waders, and those I am set.

Winter sharking is like summer IV catfishing. Not for the meek angler.

Jim

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
I was telling Mike And Josh that I would even welcome a surf bat at this point. Just something to pull on.  :'(
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Ben, how'd you fair?

Salad wasn't bad for me once I moved down to the washing machine area right next to the rocks.  It may sound counter intuitive, but that's the way it was.  First half of the night baits came back clean.  Last two hours (9-11pm) baits started coming back chewed up.  Not as much as what you guys were dealing with though.  I called it a night at 11:30.

I've been trying out a different rod the past couple outings, a 3 piece 13' Daiwa Sealine.  Line weight 17-40 lbs and lure weight 1-6 oz, so not as beefy as my 12' Penn.  It throws 6 oz and a small piece of bait really well but gets sloppy with a bigger piece of bait.  Overall it's much less difficult to cast than the Penn.  The Penn barely loads up even with 8 oz plus bait.  It's nice to have options.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
I was telling Mike And Josh that I would even welcome a surf bat at this point. Just something to pull on.  :'(

I'm feeling the same way.  I've lost count of how many weekday sessions I've done without a bite.  Over half a dozen I'm sure.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »

I'm not having a problem with hooking fish, I'm just having a problem "landing" fish   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect