Author Topic: It's not just me  (Read 6575 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
It's not just me
« on: December 23, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
My cousin has been here since Monday, thus I've been fishing every other day.  This morning Andre, Dennny, Longcast and I met up at 6:00.  Same game, Andre got one on and after close 20 minutes it spit the hook in the wash.  That was the only one any of got even close to the beach.  Between the four of us we had 12 pull downs and 9 legit hook ups.  2 of them dropped off within a minute, but the other 7 resulted in 10 to 20 minute fights.  All of them ran over 200 yards out to sea before they breached.  None of us gained any ground on any of them, at best we could stop them for a few minutes before they started running again.  Me and Denny were using 80 lb shock leader and Joe was using 100 lb.   All of us had the rub leader wore through, each time losing about 5'.  The majority of our bites came between 9:00 and 11:00.  Bright sun, not a rock or reef in miles on a total sand beach.  Joe had one that ran well over 400 yards with his drag fully tightened before it wore through.  I have no idea what they are, BUT AT LEAST MY KNOT DIDN'T FAIL!!!!!!!  Thanks for the advice Steve, now if you can just tell me how to stop these things.  28 lbs of drag and 350 yards of 65 lb braid, and three times in the last week I've come close to getting spooled before they broke off.................sharks=11   Verne=0
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:18:16 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: It's not just me
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Sounds like you need bigger gear.
Glad the knot worked for you.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
About midway into this mornings session and multiple break offs I started thinking that these are not  soupfins as we sort of assumed they were. When I hooked into the first one and it stated heading straight out I wasn’t too concerned because Im thinking with 500 yards of 80lb braid + 50 yards or so of mono top shot I’m safe from being spooled by any soupie or ray. Well, 300 - 400yards of peeled out line later without any indication of beginning to tire or turn, looking down at my spool it became a concern so I slowly cranked down on my drag until it was maxed which still didn’t phase this things steady run straight out to sea. About 50 yards and a minute of maxed down drag before a dull pop and slack line. Doh!. 100lb rub leader worn through. No obvious or exaggerated head shakes or tail slaps on the line during the runs, but som  of the hook ups they would breach and tail splash on the surface shortly after being hooked. Not sure what these are but now I’m on a mission to put one on the sand and find out...Verne we’re going to need a bigger boat!
No Mike, they’re not bat rays...

Jack Murtagh

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
When I get back I’ll bring the big gear and we WILL have one on the sand!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
I think we need to have another gathering at this location so solve the mystery.  ;D Sorry to hear about the break-offs, but it sounds more exciting then our last 10 sessions down here. It's like the story of the loch ness monster, lots of sightings but no real proof of it's existence. My money is on Verne to land the first one.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
F***k! Just had one on for about 45 minutes. Thought I was going to get this one...Rubbed through the rub again...never did get to see color even though I had him real close to the skinny a couple of times....damn it!..on a mission now

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »
What about some other line for a leader? Flouro, parachute cord?

No slaps or shakes is puzzling.

Sounds like time for a early year Grinner Gathering up there.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:59:47 PM by spideyjg »

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »
Go to Home Depot and buy some weed whacker line to use for rub leader. That's where I'm at being 0 for 5. I checked the diameter of the line on the box and bought crimps at the tackle shop.
I really feel your frustration. Hopefully you'll land one soon.

I'll second the idea for a grinner gathering.

-Keith
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:25:57 PM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
What about some other line for a leader? Flouro, parachute cord?

No slaps or shakes is puzzling.

Sounds like time for a early year Grinner Gathering up there.

Jim
After this last one I take back the no tail slaps statement, definitely had long slow tail slaps on this last one. I got this one turned and to run parallel north a couple hundred yards them back south but then it just bulldogged me and slowly swam out or stopped for a few seconds but I couldn’t pull it towards me at all when it was stopped

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »
About midway into this mornings session and multiple break offs I started thinking that these are not  soupfins

I think you maybe right Joe. I know you weren't on the beach when I was hooked up. But, ask Vern, and the young man who came out with you today. The size of the tail of the fish I had on was pretty big. Bigger than the tail on the soupfin, I had landed on that same beach, about a month ago. After catching my first soup on that beach, My recent tally is: sharks: 3 lightline21: 0

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
Time for bigger gear. To be honest, I would’ve already had the big guns in the water after getting smoked the first time around! Come on guys, I’m dying to see what’s owning y’all!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Jack Murtagh

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
Rigs made ans just put fresh line on the 55w  ;D I’ll txt u soon Verne and just spoke to a buddy of mine who fishes on his boat over there for Hali’s. Let’s just say what I sed to u this morning was dead on!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
Rigs made ans just put fresh line on the 55w  ;D I’ll txt u soon Verne and just spoke to a buddy of mine who fishes on his boat over there for Hali’s. Let’s just say what I sed to u this morning was dead on!
Hey Jack, BTW, did you get the reel yet? ☺️

Jack Murtagh

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Hey Jack, BTW, did you get the reel yet? ☺️

Yep had it for a while.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 03:48:29 AM »
Gotta chime in one more time.  Around 7:00 Andre was setup about 30 yards down the beach from us.  We heard him scream and he was pointing out to sea, we looked out and saw 3 dorsal fins swimming together heading north.  As we're watching them swim past his rod all of a sudden it goes bendo (must have been four of them).  A few hours later I saw a tail fin not 75 feet out explode chasing something, never saw the dorsal but did watch the "hump" of water bolting through the shallow water.  Tried to do a mental count last night, best I can figure between the 3 of us we've had close to 20 break offs and well over 25 hits.  One time yesterday my bait got picked up before I got back to the rod holder.  Between watching these things do flips, tail walking and seeing dorsal fins leaving a wake behind them it's been like watching National Geographic.  This whole week goes against everything I've read, we're on a sandy beach, in the middle of the day sitting in front of a life guard tower.  It was fun while it lasted, but my cousin is leaving today and I'm back to my regular routine........cooking and doctor visits.  I've had several people PM me asking where we were.  I'm not one to keep my AO secret (except my Hail spots), it's a huge beach and apparently full of big critters right now.   Good luck out there guys, I wish I could be with you.  Verne

My money is on Verne to land the first one.  ;)

On the other hand, this is killing me.  I use Mustad Demon 12/0 hooks, Spro Swivels & Sputnik sinkers.  Between that and the wire/crimps, it's costing me almost $9.00 a break off.  It feels like I might as well throw my wallet out in the ocean.  Adding Denny's break offs,  I'm well over a hundred dollars in terminal tackle in 3 trips   :(
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:04:53 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect