Author Topic: The Tax Man , up close & personal  (Read 17346 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: The Tax Man , up close & personal
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
Just read this report again and it was even more exhilarating the 2nd time around!! Would’ve loved to be your sand hand! I’ve gotta do more prep work before I can tangle with one.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 11:55:02 PM »
Just read this report again and it was even more exhilarating the 2nd time around!! Would’ve loved to be your sand hand! I’ve gotta do more prep work before I can tangle with one.
I’m not sure anyone can do all the prep work without actually getting busted off by one of these things once or twice first to get a full understanding of the power them and their gear is going to be up against. In hindsight I see Chip was trying to explain or warn us but it just didn’t click for me until I felt it for myself.
I’m telling you guys a 100 lb mono rub or even 150 mono rub is going to be nothing but heartache, no question in my mind and I have serious doubts a 30lb or less top shot is going to do it. I mean my weakest connection was where my 80lb braid was uni knotted to the pulley and my reel has a max drag rating of 44lbs and I was palming it at times on top of that and I needed at least 400yds with that. If your only going to be able to put 30lbs or so of pressure on it I’m going to guess your going to need 600yards or so of main line and have an extended fight as well...you’ll see..

AA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:25:49 AM by LONGCAST JOE »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 06:09:22 AM »
Let me start by saying that I read this through a few times and I'm just wowed each time!  Congrats Joe!  That is truly an unbelievable catch and on a spinner to boot! That is a very "White" Christmas brother!!!! Congrats again!

(I know, with that catch it is hard to get a solo measurement, but please measure out the rod you used to get the general length of the shark.  I realize you said it doesn't matter, but I want to get something up for the list and really want to be consistent with any contests we have as I know some of the prize donors will want to know what size shark won their donated prizes)  :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 08:26:12 AM »
Let me start by saying that I read this through a few times and I'm just wowed each time!  Congrats Joe!  That is truly an unbelievable catch and on a spinner to boot! That is a very "White" Christmas brother!!!! Congrats again!

(I know, with that catch it is hard to get a solo measurement, but please measure out the rod you used to get the general length of the shark.  I realize you said it doesn't matter, but I want to get something up for the list and really want to be consistent with any contests we have as I know some of the prize donors will want to know what size shark won their donated prizes)  :)

If the powers that be decided that Great White sharks were excluded from the shark fishing contests because they are a protected species I don't think anybody who catches one on here would complain IMHO :)

We could approximate their length for inclusion on the list and note that with an *. The accomplishment is it's own reward. Don't get me wrong, I'm as competitive as the next guy and would love bragging rights and some of those sweet prizes, but I'm also pragmatic about everything that's involved. Either way, I'm good with whatever the higher powers decide 8)

This is not hard.  The longest surf casted/caught shark from the beach is the winner.  2 rules apply and the penalty points are already in place after Mike's solo mission.  You can't get any simpler than that unless you guys start making it hard.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »

If the powers that be decided that Great White sharks were excluded from the shark fishing contests because they are a protected species I don't think anybody who catches one on here would complain IMHO :)

We could approximate their length for inclusion on the list and note that with an *. The accomplishment is it's own reward. Don't get me wrong, I'm as competitive as the next guy and would love bragging rights and some of those sweet prizes, but I'm also pragmatic about everything that's involved. Either way, I'm good with whatever the higher powers decide 8)

This is not hard.  The longest surf casted/caught shark from the beach is the winner.  2 rules apply and the penalty points are already in place after Mike's solo mission.  You can't get any simpler than that unless you guys start making it hard.

I prefer to keep it simple (like me  ;D )

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »
Geez, what a fun read!

I hate hearing people use the word epic all the time, so I never do.  But Joe, that was EPIC!!!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
Now if you'll excuse me, I can't believe I'm seriously researching inflatable kayaks so I can drop baits for my shark stick so I can catch an even bigger one :o

Chip, you don't want to risk poking a hole in that inflatable kayak, so I suggest you hang the bait over the side while you paddle out...  ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »

Get that measurement Joe! That’s a great shark to lose to!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »
Awesome!

Showing us how it's done! Congrats!
Keep it tight

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
Now if you'll excuse me, I can't believe I'm seriously researching inflatable kayaks so I can drop baits for my shark stick so I can catch an even bigger one :o

Chip, you don't want to risk poking a hole in that inflatable kayak, so I suggest you hang the bait over the side while you paddle out...  ;D

If your going to paddle baits out, it's recommended to put a cork over the hook point until your ready to drop. This is a safety issue. The last thing you want is to flip in a wave etc, end up with hook, bait , and weight as a piercing.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
wow  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:20:25 AM by LONGCAST JOE »

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »
Ok, here’s what the measurement came out to....90”!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 07:19:48 AM »
Damn that is a young one. Sounds like they are far stronger than a 7 gill with the azz whipping you took.

Jim

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
Looked like a big one in the pics, still a little Juvie huh.