Author Topic: Training Wheels are Off!  (Read 8287 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Re: Training Wheels are Off!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
The "Latimeria Cast" is by far the most professional and most kinetic cast.   ;D hahahaha

Can't wait to throw it by you at the Spring Grinner Gathering ;D

Where have I heard that before...  Oh yeah... It was our resident super caster who cast almost hit me 200 yards down the beach when he was trying to cast it out into the ocean.   ;D :P ;D :P
He could cast a sinker, but god forbid there was a bait attached.  lol

Got a confession to make. I had the on/off backwards on the centrifugal brakes. Now I am running with 5 out of 6 brakes on, 1 off, and that seems to be the sweet spot. I also hit a wall in terms of distance. I asked TFT to give my rig a cast, and he just picked it up and airmailed me. I asked him what I was doing and he said to hit it with more left hand. Said you just have to get over the fear of the major birds nest and just let it rip. He was right. I tried it this past weekend and got way better distance, especially with bait and 6oz. I might have hooked a couple, but there's no doubt it was much further out there. TFT said it's also a much lower trajectory cast than what I've been getting with my spinning gear, and he was right about that too. But the bottom line is I'm casting further and with a little more practice should be able to find the sweet spot on the trajectory.

Then it's on to the Hatteras cast and Glory when I blow it by Tom at the Spring Grinner Gathering ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:51 AM »
Got a confession to make. I had the on/off backwards on the centrifugal brakes. Now I am running with 5 out of 6 brakes on, 1 off

And I was thinking you had the most "educated thumb" in the world.  As fast as a Fathom is, I was surprised you were running it brake free with straight braid.   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
Got a confession to make. I had the on/off backwards on the centrifugal brakes. Now I am running with 5 out of 6 brakes on, 1 off

And I was thinking you had the most "educated thumb" in the world.  As fast as a Fathom is, I was surprised you were running it brake free with straight braid.   :)

I have no brakes on mine, just fished it straight out of the box. You get used to it pretty quick. It also started off on my jigstick, which I find is harder to cast without backlashes because of the lighter being thrown. I found this helped speed up the learning  curve.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)