Author Topic: Grinner Gathering OC Style  (Read 2318 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Grinner Gathering OC Style
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
Saturday 14-15 of us hit the beach for one last chance to snatch that sweet custom Rainshadow rod from Mike's grasp. Other than a stray piece of salad here and there, conditions were perfect. Got a bunch of pickups of the right kind, but they all jumped on the surface immediately and threw the hook or managed to break the rub leaders. We did manage to put one nice Leo on the sand, but no pics because by that time I was several adult beverages in and didn't feel like getting my butt out of my chair. We were laughing about how if it's not a monster, we don't care anymore. If somebody catches a smelt or something small on the critter rods, it's nice but does not remove the stripe, you just cut it up and use it for fresh bait.

Spencer and the TerraFirmaTackle Crew were there along with some of the SD AllStars, Sasquatch, Jaws, Binh and Mike. Jaws got a hookup and a taste ;D

BTW Joe, still jelly over your cart 8)

I was fishing next to Squatch with my new rig. Talk about pressure! But I was able to rig up my leaders without forgetting my weights this time, and I managed to cast the conventional without embarrassing myself. So at least I had that going for me ;D

Depending on the tide and the surf/swell, there are a lot of different places and ways you can fish this spot. In my experience, it doesn't really matter. Just get a decent bait in the water and make sure you have a sandhand with enough beach and the right gear to give yourself a decent shot at landing one when a monster hits.

SD Representing.

Spencer and the TFT guys working the Deck.

Is this pic blurry or am I still a little fuzzy from yesterday ;D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:10:33 AM by BackBayMan »
Anybody have an emergency beer?

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Grinner Gathering OC Style
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
Mike and I commented that it looked promising that the right kind would be landed that night. It was great to see some old and new faces. As night drew in, we were a little envious of the fire pits a few hundred yards down the beach.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Mike and I commented that it looked promising that the right kind would be landed that night. It was great to see some old and new faces. As night drew in, we were a little envious of the fire pits a few hundred yards down the beach.

There are fire pits there on the south end. Right now you would have to dig them out from under the sand because they're buried, but they are there ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
Fun day. Met some people. Had some interesting conversation. Planned to head up again today but had other things to do that had slipped my mind.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
Looks like a nice group gathering. Always fun times with friends. I took a look at most of the OC spots and except for a few light rod guys nobody seemed to be out fishing. We're casting south of the pier to see what's up with those soupies.
Keep it tight

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
Looks like a nice group gathering. Always fun times with friends. I took a look at most of the OC spots and except for a few light rod guys nobody seemed to be out fishing. We're casting south of the pier to see what's up with those soupies.

Good luck with the soupies 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »
Was hoping to see anyone hooked up. Another typical winter day for me.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Was hoping to see anyone hooked up. Another typical winter day for me.

Got to get out more Bro 8)