Author Topic: Boat update# ??  (Read 19356 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Boat update# ??
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
So dropped the fuse panes to do some wire chasing and 2 insects came out that may have been worker termites.  >:(

So rather that wire chase or install finished pieces, I proceeded to rip out the rest of the rat fur and unscrew all the wood.

Screws were frozen as cement. Busted out the drill with a hammer drill option it worked miracles! It sheared off the tip from 2 #2 phillips bits in the process?!  :o

2 screws refused and I broke the head off one and got the other out with vise grips.

Under the fur was lots of sand so that was the perpetual grit everywhere.

Back deck is in 3 sections 2 that are 2.5 X 8 footers to the front and a smaller one across the stern. Hopefully tomorrow I can yank all of it out in case of termites and toss in a sheet of standard wood as a temp floor.

Depends what I find bug wise.

On the bright side the back pieces should be easy compared to the bow and port side.

Jim

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Re: Boat update# ??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »
 :o
Anybody have an emergency beer?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:01:51 AM »
Hang with it Jim, in the end you'll be rewarded.  Years ago I bought a older 22' Glasspar with an I/O, on it's maiden voyage it leaked like a sieve.  Ended up cutting the whole transom off and building my own, at the time it felt like the end of the world.....................................but afterwards it provided years of fishing and pulling the kids on tubes and skis    ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:55 PM »
Lifted both deck halves and saw no termite damage, vacuumed the foam chips from the underside, and began to rip the rest of the rat fur off the starboard rail. That is nasty crap.

The starboard rail attaches to a small ledge and need support that came from some crappy made "rod" holders. That side needs some design changes as the cables and wires all ran along the top.

I'll get pics once the rat fur and dust is cleared. Need suggestions how to do that side to have support, run the cables under, and maybe add storage slots for boxes.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »
You will be calling this boat "Miss Kitty" by the time you are done all pimping her out!  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
A few screws, 4 hours  >:( >:( >:( >:( :o

So taking the side off every damn screw going though the nuts were frozen solid. Had to use a dremel to route around the heads, and use the cut off wheels to lop them of and yank the damn shafts out.

Gonna do a rough trace to scribe for the permanent one.

On the bright side it is out, the rat fur, sand, salt, glue, filth dust is gone except one single detached panel.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
More work than pleasure for that boat!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
More work than pleasure for that boat!

There isn't a production boat made with what I want otherwise I would have bought one. Everything is made with damn carpet. Bass anglers seem fine with that but this is a blood and guts catfish/saltwater vessel. No place for carpet.

That side will have the cables re routed to be under the rail and the support made with box storage slots.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
So where was I. Found the problem but not the solution to my bow light. There are 2 wires coming out and the issue is the ground wire is open. I would run new wires but cannot find the ends. More on that as time goes on as I rebuild the switch panel.

Anyhow now into redesign phase. This is the starboard side.

The rail rest on a small <1" metal rail and the cutout pieces, craptacular as they were held up the rest of the shelf. Now the quandry is how to do that and provide a channel to run all the cables under the rail and possible slots for tackle storage.

Ideas?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:00:47 AM »
Hmmm, I'm not sure what that metal ledge you are talking about or where it is located in the picture but it is looking good!  I have had my share of headaches over the years fixing up boats and so glad that I don't have to do that anymore.  You'll be an expert by the end of this restoration though!  LOL

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
The ledge is against the hull coming out only about an inch. The plywood is covering it

I'm thinking supports and shelves for storage.

Just wish the weather was warmer to epoxy and paint outside.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:25:22 AM by spideyjg »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
The ledge is against the hull coming out only about an inch. The plywood is covering it

Gotcha!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:00:35 PM »
Crucial piece starting tomorrow. This is the stern most piece where the batteries, gas tank sit and the bait tank hoses have to run under. Once this is cut I can start modeling the overall stern pieces then get to epoxy and paint.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
Spent all day making sawdust. Thanks to tricks from a cabinet maker actually got stuff done.

The mess.

Finished both deck sides but need to cut to mate in the center and drill screw holes.

This is the side ledge again cut to fit the side but screws and other details to finish. Probably will dry fit everything on that side before painting. This was a massive PITA due to all the cabling in the damn way.

Also cut the rear deck so all total big progress made on 4 major pieces.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
Look at you Jim! By the time you complete this project, you'll be an expert in the field!  ;)

Looking great boss. Any time frame for the return to the sea?