Author Topic: Sunday in The OC 1-14  (Read 2375 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Sunday in The OC 1-14
« on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
Hit the deck at greylight. Even in the dark it was obvious our beach had undergone some major changes. Lots of sand moved around.

SoCal Bill, JayRay and I were joined by a ghost from the past, Batastrophe, AKA Jeff.

We got the longrods in, and while SoCal Bill and I settled in waiting for grinners JayRay and Batastrophe played with their critter rods. It wasn't long before they started catching croakers, small beans, and keychain leos.

Tide flipped, and we fished hard for grinners. Water was clear, surf wasn't bad, no salad, but as the tide went out it was obvious there was a lot of new sand. We heard reports of a large ray being caught the day before along with a fat leo ;D

But we got nada >:(

Still, it was pretty amazing to be getting sunburned in the middle of January while the rest of the country is freezing their hohos off. Taking a look at reports from others fishing The OC showed signs of life with a big bat confirmed. It's just typical wintertime fishing, hit or miss with a few pleasant surprises showing here and there.

8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday in The OC 1-14
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:31 AM »
Good stuff.. I'll be headed out to the Other County this saturday looking to try out a new rig and that cannon.. Hopefully the bait fish stay there..

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »
Sounds like a nice day with good company   8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »
I hear the soupfin bite is on north of SD. I think it's time to hit a new spot...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »
I wonder what your spot is going to look like once this big swell moves on through?

Keep at it Chip! 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
I wonder what your spot is going to look like once this big swell moves on through?

Keep at it Chip!

It's going to be interesting. Honestly, after looking at the surf/rain forecasts I'm thinking this Saturday is going to be a Bay session. There's a good chance the Bay will be messed up too, but with some larger models showing we should recon and I need to learn how to Hatteras cast someplace where I don't have to worry about killing innocent bystanders.

;D

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
10.5' foot swell on Friday evening, holy crap! I might have to stop by the park on the hill just to see what that looks like down below.
#MAGA

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:45 AM »
10.5' foot swell on Friday evening, holy crap! I might have to stop by the park on the hill just to see what that looks like down below.

Get pics!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »

Get pics!

Well!  Post Pics!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.