Author Topic: Casting cannon advocate!!  (Read 6802 times)

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Casting cannon advocate!!
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
Hearing quite a bit about the breakaway casting cannon and doing some research and decided to go ahead and order more one.. Still being a negative nancy and always a sceptic I decided before I'd mount it permanently to my rod I'd take to to a local football field and do some before and after tests on it with my 11' moderate fast offshore angler and a 6oz torpedo weight "or cigar weight"..

Without cannon: I averaged 60 to 75yards no bait..

With cannon: Goalpost to goalpost or over 100 yards without bait..

I know your gonna say it cause I would too "that's cause it bounced".... Well... Sorry Charlie but I had to dig the weight out of the ground each time so there was no bounce..

Sorry for there not being any pictures but it's been to much of a pain in the @$$ to figure out and I'm lazy..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Casting cannon advocate!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
I hear the cannon is the way to go for heaving big baits on a spinner.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
I use to use one when I was throwing the spinner setup. Then I grew up.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »

:o Dayumm!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »

:o Dayumm!

;D ;D ;D Save the smack talk for the Bat Fight Binh!

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »

Hahaha.. "I wanna be a real boy"..
I don't know my spinner reel has 25lb max drag.. My penn squall 60 has for dropping baits 35lb max drag and I can't even set the damn thing past 25lb.. Maybe when I actually hook into something that spools me out then I'll come over to the dark side.. Hahaha..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:06:02 AM »
Man, I would love to see some pics of the set up!  We have to find you an easier way to post pictures.  Maybe try the "Attach and other options" at the bottom of the "Post Reply" section?  I've never used it, so I'm not sure how well it works, but it's another option.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
Man, I would love to see some pics of the set up!  We have to find you an easier way to post pictures.  Maybe try the "Attach and other options" at the bottom of the "Post Reply" section?  I've never used it, so I'm not sure how well it works, but it's another option.

If you wanna pm me your number I'll be more than happy to text you pics when I get home.. When I first got it in the mail I was  "I paid $30 for this $#!%".. But after trying it out it's kinda worth it.. Right now I just have it zip tied on but I'm thinking I'll do something more permanent like wrap it with wire and tape or see if I can find some shrink tube that fits..

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

If you wanna pm me your number I'll be more than happy to text you pics when I get home.. When I first got it in the mail I was  "I paid $30 for this $#!%".. But after trying it out it's kinda worth it.. Right now I just have it zip tied on but I'm thinking I'll do something more permanent like wrap it with wire and tape or see if I can find some shrink tube that fits..

My buddy has been using zip ties wrapped with electrical tape on his for years now.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »

Says the man with undersized gear and leaders.

Shhhhh now, grown men are talking ;D

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:57 AM »

Hahaha.. "I wanna be a real boy"..
I don't know my spinner reel has 25lb max drag.. My penn squall 60 has for dropping baits 35lb max drag and I can't even set the damn thing past 25lb.. Maybe when I actually hook into something that spools me out then I'll come over to the dark side.. Hahaha..

Don't listen to those skinny, lightweight grinner targeting guys down south FISH86R. You're a part of The OC Crew, so long as that coffee grinder has 250 yards of 80lb braid and 25lbs of drag, we'll show you how to catch monster rays. Although you might have to step it up for the real sharks that eat 400 yards of line like it's nothing and then floss their teeth with 225lb leaders that we have up here. But that's cool, we'll hook you up with that too ;D

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
Technically I'm pissing in everybody's ice-cube trays cause I'm out of the IE.. But I'm down to fish with anyone.. I've got 770 yards of 100lb braid on the 60.. Should be enough to put the brakes on most fish.. My new 8000 spinner I went more for capacity with 400 yards of 50lb braid.. I would leave the zip ties on but I prefer my rod to look a little cuter than that.. Besides I don't wanna get hung up on it when I get bored and decide to rub my weanner on it.. How has the tape held up in the salt water though??

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
I don't wanna get hung up on it when I get bored and decide to rub my weanner on it..

Ok, you and Chip should get along great.  ???
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
I don't wanna get hung up on it when I get bored and decide to rub my weanner on it..

Ok, you and Chip should get along great.  ???

That's not even the sick part... I hang my rods on my wife's side of the bed so she thinks I'm looking at her..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
hahahaha, that's awesome!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.