Author Topic: Kayak fishing Mission Bay  (Read 5143 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Kayak fishing Mission Bay
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
Today was the maiden voyage of my kayak in saltwater.  I launched from Mission Bay Park around 8am and finished around 1:30pm.  It was a long day of paddling!  Here's a rough sketch of my route, going counterclockwise.

The launch was easy enough from the beach.  I wore water shoes and didn't worry about getting my feet wet.

Gear in the hatch included the spare paddle, throw/tow rope, first aid kit, and dry bag with my phone and wallet.  I bought an air horn but forgot to pack it.  I wore my PFD with knife and whistle attached.  Fishing gear was simple, just a small tackle bag and two spinning rods.  I played around with tethering the rods, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

For most of the morning the water was smooth as glass.  The water at the north end of the bay was pretty clear, and the highlight of the day was seeing several huge leopard sharks in the grass beds.  They were over 4 feet for sure, maybe even 5 feet.  I fumbled with my camera, but they bolted before I could get it out.

My goal for the day was to paddle around the island in the middle of the bay (Vacation Isle?), and I stopped to fish whenever I went under a bridge.  I didn't get any hits though.

I ran into this salty old dog who wasn't letting a few stitches keep him from shore fishing.

Around noon I took a break at one of the boat ramps to stretch my legs.  Another kayak angler chatted me up and insisted I go fish with him for a bit.  He was so enthusiastic about it, I couldn't say no.  He said the fish were hitting red crab Hookup Baits, and he insisted I use one of his.  We paddled over to his spot, and sure enough the spotted bass went for it.

I was fine with getting skunked, so it was a nice treat to actually catch a few fish!  Huge thanks to Todd for the jig and letting me shadow you for a while.

In the afternoon the wind picked up, and it was actually a fairly difficult paddle back to my car.  The west shore of Fiesta Island seems to go on forever!

My next project will be mounting the fish finder.  I've been playing around with it in my living room, and unfortunately the power connection isn't very tight.  It randomly turns off when it loses connection, so I'll have to figure out a solution before it's worth taking out on the water.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Kayak fishing Mission Bay
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
Long paddle.

That salty dog is just a pup compared to the one who should be on that rock.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
Long paddle indeed!  Glad you got some fish though. 

It was funny seeing you paddle around the corner and kind of recognizing the kayak.  When I called your name, and you paddled over I was amazed it really was you.

Thanks for those pictures also.  It was quite the unique perspective that I don't usually see.
We'll get out soon as I heal up and give you some of the secret MB intel I've acquired over the decades.  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »

We'll get out soon as I heal up and give you some of the secret MB intel I've acquired over the decades.  ;D

Just ask Josh for the intel Ben!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:42 PM »
Recommend a bilge pump especially for a sit inside. Aqua Bound makes a great one. Backup bailout bucket wouldn't hurt either and doubles as a makeshift port a potty.   ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
I still wouldn't use it for the surf unless it looks like a pond out there.  A bilge pump is good, but no scuppers to quickly release water will make for a bad day out there in you roll.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »
Sit inside feature can double as a live well.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »

Genius!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »

Hell, it can double as a Chamber Pot too if needed!   ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »

Hell, it can double as a Chamber Pot too if needed!   ;D

It is cold now.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
God damnit guys I have a cut out milk jug to use as a bailer and/or chamber pot.