Author Topic: A Change of Tides and Fortunes (1/28)  (Read 2717 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Change of Tides and Fortunes (1/28)
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
It's been weeks since I've taken the boat out and couldn't wait.  I told Squatch to meet me at the launch ramp at exactly 6:22am and showed up almost to the second.
It was cold and windy, but we decided to hit all of the local areas with Plastics and see if we could get lucky with a halibut to go along with some hopeful bass.  Steve got hot early and caught the first 4 fish while I couldn't even get a bite.  Steve had a little fun gloating over this!

Only a few sandies caught...

Mostly Calico...

I had to change my fortunes and figured Karma would have a little fun with Steve in the meantime, so I started using "Cheater Sauce" on my lures.  I quickly caught up with Calico bass and then started to catch some of the Oobly Gooblies.  The wind died down a ton which helped out, but there was some big swells moving through

Blue Rockfish

Gophers

I had quite the steady pick going while Squatch was getting hung up and losing lead heads.  All the while I was trying to get him to use "Cheater Sauce" but he refused....  No matter, more fish for me!  lol

We both picked up some rockfish on the shallower spots, so moved back out to deeper water looking for the bass again.  The bass were there, but the bite slowed down with the dropping tide.  I then get WHACKED on my swimbait and immediately thought it was a Lingcod because how heavy it was and how hard it was thumping.  When I saw deep color, I was amazed!  Steve looked down and had the same reaction as I think he thought it was a Ling also... WTF?!?

We snapped a few pics and sent her back down.  It was a beautiful Calico!

I was pretty much done as I still wanted to get home early enough to get some things done, so we tried one more spot.  We picked (or at least got bit) at a few casts before seeing a tupperware navy of strokers heading into the inlet.  I wanted nothing to do with dealing with so many plastic bobbers in the inet, so we both made a last cast.

Steve came away with a BIG and Fat Brownie (quite possibly a Calico Rockfish)!

I hooked up also and got myself a nice calico!

It still felt great getting out and I got one of my bigger calicos from the boat, so success all around.

Thanks for reading...

Until next tide!!!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: A Change of Tides and Fortunes (1/28)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »
Had a great time. Sauce or no sauce.

LandlockedinUT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Those are some HEALTHY bass!  The sauce is the Boss!  Nice catching!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
Nice Calicos .

My buddy and I will be fishing just outside mission bay feb 3rd to pre fish for an upcoming tournament.

We both don't know the area.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:40:35 AM »
Once again Tom, it's great seeing you have trouble free days on the boat.  Nice checkers   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:05 AM »
Thanks guys!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.