Author Topic: Fishing with Dave & Roger (2/4)  (Read 3068 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Fishing with Dave & Roger (2/4)
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »
It was Roger's Birthday trip and somehow my plans to fish plastics in SD bay turned to fishing MB and then turned to be out front... and then picking up bait.  Totally not what i was thinking, but we made it happen.

They kind of overstuffed our bait well which caused most to die, but I was surprised that we had baits live in the bubbler system all day.  Granted, we lost 90%, but I was impressed to say the least.  Thankfully there was little to no wind and even less swell so taking 3 of us out the inlet and into the ocean worked out fine.

We hit out front and Roger grabbed bait while Dave and I hit the plastics.  I got 2 legal calico, 1 turd roller and a BIG Johnny Bass before Roger got his first fish on bait.  But Roger did get a Cabby on a big sardine so it was pretty funny to see the big dine hanging out of his mouth.

I ended up with a short Calico after that and we decided to make a move since things got pretty slow.

We all picked up Brown Rockfish, I think 4 in total...  pretty big ones also.

I picked up two really nice Sculpin and Dave followed suit with a few even bigger than my big ones!

It literally turned into a lake out there....  No drift or anything...

Roger then hooks up with what we thought was a flatty!

Turned out to be a real shallow water lingcod.

Dave got this beautiful Scully!

We made one more move and picked up a fish or two... but not anything new for the bag.  I got a brownie and I think another short calico on my first drop.

I'm not sure of the final count, but I got 10 or so fish and lost just as many.  I think Roger and Dave got another 10 put together, so It wasn't a bad day, but a slow pick day for sure.  In any case, it was good to get out there even though the bass didn't cooperate like previous weeks.  We did have the (little bit that we had) wind against tide which made things tough, but Dave's shirt said it all!

Until next tide!  (I need to find a job soon...)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:32:44 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing with Dave & Roger (2/4)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
Damn, bendo shot of Dave, didn't expect that.

Just having fun Dave.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
Nice lingcod, and I've really been enjoying these shots of beefy sculpin!

LandlockedinUT

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
Nice lingcod, and I've really been enjoying these shots of beefy sculpin!

X2  They sure are tasty!