Author Topic: Land based pelagic's  (Read 1696 times)

Dgee96

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Land based pelagic's
« on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »
So im new to california, i grew up fishing for strippers and blue fish on the east coast and more recently began fishing for trevally, tuna, ect. With big plugs While i was stationed in hawaii. Im just curious if there is anyone who knows anything about what if any pelagics are within casting distance in the socal area.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Land based pelagic's
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
I’ve personally never heard of anyone getting a pelagic from shore down here. You can get lucky and get a yellowtail, white sea bass, and bonito from shore, but those aren’t pelagics. They’d be welcomed by any shore angler for sure!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
First off, welcome to the boards Dgee.

Mike pretty much summed it up.  The closest I've heard pelagics to our coast was bluefin beaching themselves down in Imperial Beach one year.  Actually heard about that twice.
I heard in OB that someone caught a dorado one year, but that was off the pier and an occasional wahoo entering some northern SoCal bays.  If you wanted to target pelagics from the beach, your best bet would to fish the Catalina Island surf.  I wish we had some New Zealand style pelagic beach fishing here, but the water is generally too cold for them.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
First off, welcome to the boards Dgee.

Mike pretty much summed it up.  The closest I've heard pelagics to our coast was bluefin beaching themselves down in Imperial Beach one year.  Actually heard about that twice.
I heard in OB that someone caught a dorado one year, but that was off the pier and an occasional wahoo entering some northern SoCal bays.  If you wanted to target pelagics from the beach, your best bet would to fish the Catalina Island surf.  I wish we had some New Zealand style pelagic beach fishing here, but the water is generally too cold for them.

Hi Dgee! And what Tom said X2 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?