Author Topic: first butt from the yak  (Read 3696 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
first butt from the yak
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
Got out on SD Bay today with a guy I met at a kayak event a few weeks ago (let's call him Tim).  He had a coupon for a free scoop of sardines, so that's what we fished.  We spent most of the day hanging out close to the bait barge.  This was also my first time trying out the fish finder.  It worked for a while, but then it kept giving low voltage messages and turning off.  I'm guessing I need to improve the saltwater resistance of the connection on the bottom of the unit.

The bite was slow, sardines were getting chewed on but no hookups, so I started throwing a small megabait.  I caught this future shark bait.

Tim got this nice sculpin on one of his sardines.

Finally I got a good hit on my rod and fish on!

It was fun bringing this fish up because we were in a really deep spot, 40 or 50 ft.  I guessed what it was long before it reached the surface.  My first kayak halibut.  :D

It was probably a legal, but I didn't have a tape measure and wasn't really interested in keeping fish, so I let it go.  When I got home I measured the width of the kayak and I'm guessing the halibut was 23 or 24".

The waves were really picking up with the wind so we hightailed it back to where we launched.  We tried fishing near some yachts but didn't get anything else.

Overall it was an excellent day even though we only caught three fish between the two of us.  I almost forgot... I also caught a big mantis shrimp, but it fell off the hook while I was getting my camera out.

My goals for next time are to get the fish finder working 100% and try soaking mackerel chunks to try for smoothhounds and whatever other sharks or rays want to give me a sleigh ride.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: first butt from the yak
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:07:47 PM »
You’re smooth hound hunt cracks me up! Nice hali. I’ve only caught 2 legals ever.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
Congrats on you first butt, and many kudos for the release   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
You’re smooth hound hunt cracks me up! Nice hali. I’ve only caught 2 legals ever.

This is just as mind boggling as his quest for an eel!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »

It's going to be a sad day when I run out of quests.  My top 5 right now are corvina, smoothhound, sevengill, midshipman, and fantail sole.  Seeing those last two in person got me really riled up!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »

It's going to be a sad day when I run out of quests.  My top 5 right now are corvina, smoothhound, sevengill, midshipman, and fantail sole.  Seeing those last two in person got me really riled up!

I only see two of those in your near future.  The rest are going to be tough to come by.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.