Author Topic: The little Submarine (2/15)  (Read 2747 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The little Submarine (2/15)
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »
I'm in a rush to get out the door to meet up with my old boss about a potential new job, so I'll make this relatively short.

I launched on Thursday from Dana Landing which is not my usual M.O.  Wind was supposed to pick up around noon, so I decided to do a quick morning run.  I heard of some big yellows and decided to make the run.

I caught a few dozen nice mackerel and ran to the grounds.  I stopped to give the bait some fresh water and made a few casts with the weedless swimmies.  I caught a couple of 13.5"-14"bass in about 50 casts and kept going to where I wanted to hit.

Got there and drifted live macks on the dropper loop.  I kept having rockfish and small bass grab my baits with not a single good hit. 

Making bait took up more of my time than I should have used, so I decided to head back and fish for halibut.  I caught a turd roller, brown rockfish and a calico before getting my first real hit.

I was hoping it was a big hali, but it started thumping its tail on my line and running.  I was in 50' of water, so I was guessing a BSB.  It started towing me to slightly deeper water and I maxed the drag out to the 30# limit.  The damn thing would not stop except to shake it's head a few times.  I have to be honest, I was hoping it was a giant yellowtail or white sea bass, but I spent a lot of time holding onto the rod for dear life to think about it.

20 minutes into the battle and I could barely get off the bow of the boat to start the motor.  I was afraid of having the rod get pulled out of my hands and I was so tired and thirsty by this point.  I finally started the motor to get some line back, but it gave him a rest as well as me.  I finally started to get him off the bottom when I saw a literal submarine under me!  It's now 35 minutes into the fight and I'm back in 55 feet of water.  The only time I've seen a BSB this size was when I was fishing with my buddy Roger 15 years ago in LJ and caught a couple of BSB from 150-200 pounds.  I have him about 15' under the boat when I see a yellowish stringer?  I hear a few bumps on my hull and look to see nothing.  Them my line gets real heavy and quiet.

I look down to see a lobster buoy being tugged under water with my fish attached to him!  I tried gaffing the lobster buoy line to get him unwrapped as he was only about 10' away, but the 60# was no match and he busted off in eye shot... I only had my phone to take pics, so I wasn't going to dangle it over the ocean while I was fighting him, but that was a legit fight I was stoked to get to see him.  One more thing... I f@ckING HATE those lobster buoys!!!!!!

I tried for 5 or 6 more drifts after retying for only small scrape marks in the bait.  I stopped one more place on the way in and caught about 6 calico rockfish on a small pile that I quickly released.

So, the day didn't go as planned, but now every muscle in my body is sore as well as muscles that I didn't know about.  That thing kicked my ass!

That's it.  No yellows, no white's... only a black.

Until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: The little Submarine (2/15)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
Damn!  I can't imagine what that would be like to experience.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:51 PM »
How many bugs did you pull? ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
When I first saw the title Tom, the thought came to mind "He sunk is frick'n boat"!!  If that didn't get my heart racing, the story sure did.........................awesome read   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect