Author Topic: South Bay kayaking  (Read 3092 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
South Bay kayaking
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »
On Saturday I volunteered for Heroes on the Water as a mentor.  It's a cause worth contributing to, plus I'm able to get more experience out on the water and see what gear other people are using.

https://heroesonthewater.org/

We launched from Coronado Tidelands Park.  Water was like glass in the morning.

I caught 3 SBB, and the vet I was paired with caught a midshipman.  It's crazy that those things keep showing up!

Found this guy on the beach at low tide when we came back.

After lunch I went out again solo, but the wind had really picked up so I didn't stay out long.  You can see the difference between morning and afternoon.

On Sunday I went out with my friend Dave, the guy who caught the fantail sole, midshipman, and corvina.  We launched from Pepper Park further to the south.  I spent most of the time trolling a megabait, which netted me half a dozen mackerel, a couple SBB, and half a dozen jacksmelt.  The mackerel got stashed away for future shark baits.  I fished some as cut bait near the bottom in 35 feet of water, but oddly enough it didn't get touched.

We paddled across to the western shore.  It took longer than we thought, especially with the wind from the north picking up.

When we paddled back we found the channel to Pepper Park blocked by this container ship and two tugboats.  The discharge from the tugs created a whitewater zone that was impassible.  Once they finished tying off to the dock we were able to paddle back to the boat ramp.

I didn't make any progress on my species hunt, but I think that area will be good for trolling crankbaits around for corvina, and I'd like to soak cut bait some more in the deep water near the shipping channel for smoothhounds.  I ordered a couple different style crankbaits from Amazon (LC Flashminnow 110, LC Surf Pointer 115, Yo-Zuri Crystal 3D Minnow in 3 1/2" and 4 3/8"), looking forward to trying them out when they arrive.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: South Bay kayaking
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Right on. Socal HOW chapter is a great bunch of guys all for a great cause.  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: South Bay kayaking
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
Super cool event there Ben!  I like how another Midshipsman was caught next to you also.  LOL.

Great photos, but bummer on the wind.  It's been brutal lately.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.