Author Topic: Solo Success 4/4/18  (Read 4975 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Solo Success 4/4/18
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
     After landing the 94" sevengill on Bat Fight day, I wanted to strike while the iron was hot.  With my wife and kids out of town for a couple nights I had the opportunity.  I'd planned to hit the sand right after work on Tuesday and Wednesday.  On my way to work on Tuesday morning I realized I'd left all my gear and bait in the garage  >:(  Oh well, headed home after work, did some chores, ate dinner, and headed out for a quick session before the parking area closed.  Fished from 8:30-10:30 and had two legit knock downs.  One that was dropped the bait right away, and one that I hooked up for about 30 seconds before the hook pulled.  I saw it thrashing on the surface, so I know it was a sevengill.  It was about time for the Sheriff to roll up so I packed it in and headed home.

Yesterday I made sure my gear and bait were loaded up before leaving and was ready right after I got off work.  Got to my spot and conditions looked great.  Set up two rods, bait in the water by 5:00. 

As I'm watching my rods, I see a guy unloading a SUP, cooler, and fishing gear from his car.  I'm thinking, "Maybe I can get this guy to paddle a bait out for me?"  Just as I'm about to walk over and ask him, I see my heavy rod take a bow and then go slack.  That's the right kind!  I grab the rod, tighten the drag and apply some pressure to get the circle hook set and it's Fish On!  As soon as it feels the hook it starts jumping and thrashing on the surface.  After one decent run I got him turned north, then back toward me and I was able to stay close to my rod holder.  I happened to time a large wave perfectly that brought him further up the beach so I put the rod back in the sand spike and went for the grab.  This male was thick and strong, lots of flopping and rolling, but I was able to drag it up the beach a bit and scrambled to get pics, a measurement, and unhook him as quick as possible.  Taped him out at a hair over 85". 
I got him back in the water pretty quick and he swam off strong, leaving me with a nice slap of his tail.

I rebait and cast my heavy rod, check the bait on my lighter rod, and sit down to bask in the satisfaction of my first solo grinner.  I texted a few guys that I know would be jealous and should have joined me (you know who you are  ;D ).  About 20 minutes later my heavy rod goes slack again.  I grab it, reel in the slack, feel a few tugs, then nothing.  Dang, dropped it.  I leave it there to let is sit another 5 minutes before checking it when I noticed my lighter rod bouncing.  I can see a tail slapping the surface before I even get the hook set!  I get the line tight and the hook set and this one charges straight at me.  I'm reeling as fast as I can just to keep up when it hits the skinny water and turns north.  This setup only has 25 lb. mono main line, so I let him run a bit and follow him up the beach.  I tried to keep my rod in one hand and tail it with the other, but he was not cooperating so I laid the rod down to drag him up on the sand.  This male would not hold still for anything.  He was lighter than the first one, but a bit longer at 89.5".  After I finally get it measured and unhooked, I drag it back in the water still twisting and rolling.  This one kept trying to swim back on shore.  I had to grab it and turn it around a few times and pull it into deeper water to finally get to take off strong. 

I stayed another hour and had one more missed take on each rod before calling it a night and heading home.
Pretty stoked to finally get my first solo sevengill and two at that.

Details:
Male, 85", bottom of low tide, on a chunk of ray
Male, 89", bottom of low tide, on a chunk of ray

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Success 4/4/18
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
Simply outstanding Chad, super happy for you   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
No wonder we haven't seen Ray in awhile.

Nice fish Chad.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
I texted a few guys that I know would be jealous and should have joined me (you know who you are  ;D ).

Hey man don't kick a man while he's down  :'( ha ha Great session Chad, congrats on those two 7 gills!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
Sweet session..Chad. I wish I could be fishing when there is still daylight.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Nice Ones Chad! That 1st one is a chub chub ;D, the 2nd on #25, Super  8)!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
Bottom of the low and during the day?!! Sweet! Where are you on the shark list?? Btw, Binh regularly fishes 25#.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
Friggand chunk of ray, huh?  Wow! Congrats Chad!

Tomorrow I plan on getting the shark list updated for sure!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Thanks guys!
As much as I love fishing with buddies, it was really satisfying being able to wrangle them on my own.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Awesome bro, just awesome 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »

Nice fish Chad.
Was thinking the same thing!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »

Nice fish Chad.

Mike,
Your sig line (resume) is really growing! 
Nice!  8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »

Nice fish Chad.

Mike,
Your sig line (resume) is really growing! 
Nice!  8)

Lol! Me just being stupid.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Friggand chunk of ray, huh?  Wow! Congrats Chad!

Tomorrow I plan on getting the shark list updated for sure!
A friggand chunk of Bat Ray...hope you don’t mind me speaking on this Chad...but the one he got at bat fight day also hit a ray chunk,amidst 4 other rods soaking mack. 5 rods soaking mack got snubbed by 7s prior to the ray chunk being cast on one of them that day.
Knowing that,I couldn’t help to wonder what would have been the results if a ray chunk had been cast out as well instead of soaking exclusively Mack’s in the countless previous sessions over the past few years.  ???