Author Topic: The New Lowrance HDS is Dialed In "Trip" (4/21)  (Read 2561 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The New Lowrance HDS is Dialed In "Trip" (4/21)
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
Went and did a rockfishing trip with Steve to find some more waypoints to store and hopefully bring back limits of rockfish.  Mission accomplished.

Found some great rockpiles from the 3-D mapping downloads on the unit.  It was a slow pick on the fish due to super dirty/cold water and ripping deep currents, but we got it done.

The most common Rockfish were the Barber Poles.  Steve reminded me that my fish was closer to the camera here so it looked bigger, so I helped him out in a picture later on that will make his look almost as big as my JP one, but it really wasn't close.  LOL

We got Starry's, Barber Poles, Bank Rockfish, Whitefish, Reds, Browns, as well as a bunch of smaller one's that I couldn't immediately identify.

I scored with a big 4.7# Red!

The deep current was too strong so we made a move to try a new spot and scored pretty good also!  Steve caught a Big 3.7# Red!

Steve called his Red bigger than mine, so I pulled my red out of the bag to put the fire out.  Steve's response was great... "Wow, your red is much bigger than I remembered before you put it in the bag"  LOL

On the way in, we stopped at one more spot but the wind was howling!  Steve kept saying he was going to get a halibut on shrimp fly, but instead got a nice Brown instead.  He dropped back down and I was going to take a picture, but he hooked up with what he thought was his halibut.  It turned out to be just a baby bull kelp, so I took a picture with his fish. 

We got limits and threw back the flea-cod, so it was a great day on the water before the wind kicked up.

Here is the pic of the Reds.  I didn't line them up to the tape for the picture, but mine was an inch longer and much girthier.  See Steve, I put your fish closer so it almost appeared to be a similar sized fish.  LOL

Steve by far was the hot stick of the day and I got JP, so it was a win-win for both of us!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: The New Lowrance HDS is Dialed In "Trip" (4/21)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
Tasty eats right there! Love me some rockies.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
Thanks for the invite.

The new finder is going to up the game in many ways.

Between the current and the wind, I was surprised we did as well as we did.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
Awesome!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
Good to see a tape shot, the way you were holding them out.............I'd swore they were at least 36"   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »
Good to see a tape shot, the way you were holding them out.............I'd swore they were at least 36"   ;D

Hahahaha, I can't hold them out when I'm taking the picture! It's just the camera lens is closer to fish, but thanks!  Next time I need to line up the fish so the ruler shows the right length...  I was tired from washing the boat and cleaning fish.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
Nice going guys!  Looks like a blast!