Author Topic: April Big Bay Hali Slayage  (Read 3906 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
April Big Bay Hali Slayage
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
Well with the sub-stellar surf conditions as of late and semi dead grinner bite, along with my Lil truck being outta commission the past few weeks, I’ve been getting the boat salty close to home 😎

Took pops out a few weekends ago and put a couple legal flatties in the boat! Along with easily 60+ spotties and a few Macs mixed in

My brother couldn’t go that Saturday so I took him out the next day, after church and put him on a legal flatty of his own!

Word got out and I took Dre and his wife out the following sat 4/14/18 to see if the Flattys were still eatin! We slayed the bass and had farmed a few solid fish before it happened! Dre’s wife stuck a solid spotty and he doubled up as she landed hers. As I was unhookin her fish so he could get a pic I let my underspin jus fall to the bottom and as soon as I went to finish my retrieve it gets absolutely destroyed! Instant massive head shakes followed by some of the craziest runs my lil size 25 smoke inshore has ever seen! There were times durring the melee I wasn’t sure what it was! It had power like a bat ray and the attitude and force it pulled with was unbelievable! After several blistering drag sizzling runs I finally see her bout 6 ft under the boat and I still am in awe of how big this thing is and as my eyes actually relay the message to my brain that this is a giant hali my heart and knees almost give out! But I gathered my self after a few HOLY SH!TS & OMFGS I get her pointed the right direction and as she’s about to break the surface Dre sticks her wit the perfect gaff shot right in the gills! Woooooooooows were heard in point Loma I’m pretty sure 🤣😂😅 along with a few Phuck yeahs and a few other of my favorite swears and animalistic wooows, fist pumps and high 5s!

My new PB Halibut!!! 36.75”

I was beyond stoked to say the least!  We fished a few more drifts and caught more bass and called it a helluva day!

Took last weekend off to eat some of the bounty 😊😋  corn flake battered and fried in avocado oil! Fam loved it and I destroyed 7 tacos for good measure!

Took a half day yesterday and took my cousin who hasn’t seriously fished with me in over 8 yrs 😏 and his GF out to see if I couldn’t show him how to fish again and try and put them on a couple Flattys. His GF got on board 1st with a short.

Not to be out done my cuz hooks one shortly after and I couldn’t let them have all the fun and stuck a short as he was crank in his in for the double!

They were stoked even though they weren’t keepers. We made a few more drifts and the wind picked up a bit but it wasn’t too bad yet. On our 4th drift as were nearing the reset zone my cousin sticks a nice spotty and as he’s askin for a pic I get crushed! Instantly I knew this was the one! Hali cuz! Oh yeah? Ziiiiiiiiiing!!! Rods doubled over and she’s pissed! Yeah cuz bigggin!!! He tosses his spotty back and grabs the net. NAAAAH that ain’t gonna work! Ok gets the gaff, I’ve never done this before. wtf! Aight jus stick her in the head when I swim her along the boat, after a few runs she’s right at the boat, ok stick her cuz! 1st try he misses and she gets pissssssed and darts back down! Holy phuck! Ok that sucked lol he grabs the net and as I bring her back up he tries to scoop her and she absolutely destroyed the net and shoots thru the bottom of my POS bass net that’s 10+yrs old! Gawddayum cuz this is a cluster phuck! I run the rod thru the whole in the net and tell him he better stick this bitch next time or I’m throwin his ass in after it if it gets off! 😅🤣😂😅😣 after what seemed like forever I finally wear her out again and he manages to stick her right behind the head! I was so relieved I didn’t scream or do anything but hug my cousin and thank the fish gods we got her in the boat!

Not a PB but definitly the most stressful hali I’ve ever landed!

We gave it another hour or so before we got hungry and headed to the hood!
Well the big bays been good to me lately and shes keepin me busy and well fed!
rastafar-gone B)<==*~~~

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: April Big Bay Hali Slayage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
Wow Josh, leave some butts for everyone else bro!  ;D
Congrats on the new PB, that's a beast! 
Looks like a heck of a lot of fun!  8) 8)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
Nice few sessions..Josh. We know your posting to show off your guns tho. Put a shirt on!  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
Hahahaha... yeah, put a shirt on!!

Sweet sessions, you are absolutely killing the 'buts!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
Nice halibut!  I'll buy you a shirt if need be.  You are a young, Roger.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »

Lol!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »

Lmao!!! naaaaah, I got shirts, new ones that fit me too, Extra-shmediums 😏😅🤣😂
Guns come out and the big bootys come out to play 😍🍑😂🤣😅
You're lucky I only had my shirt off in 7/8ths of my pics 😋😊😆💪🏼🤙🏼

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »
Dayum dude, killing the flattys 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »
Nice fish for sure..................................
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Nice!!! Seems like April's been a hot month for the flatfish. Hopefully it continues into May.