Author Topic: Motor Upgrades Exceeding the Coast Guard Placard  (Read 3295 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Motor Upgrades Exceeding the Coast Guard Placard
« on: May 04, 2018, 06:07:49 AM »
So, since I first took the boat out, I realized the 60hp was not going to cut it unless I fished alone all the time.  I wanted to move up to a 115hp as all new motors for the same model boat after mine allowed for a 115.  Unfortunately, my year boat says that 90hp is the maximum.

My issue is if I sell my old motor and buy a 90hp, it's only 50% more horse than I have and I have to add on an additional 100 pounds of weight for that motor.  Surprisingly the 115hp is the same weight as the 90hp since it's the same block, but fuel injected differently and maybe some bigger pistons.  I contacted Mako Marine and they told me that 90hp max is what my boat is made for and just gave me a standard answer when I asked what is the difference between the newer models and my model (Just for liability sake I guess)

I finally found on the internet on another forum that some guy just called his insurance agent to make sure they would insure the boat and motor if he threw a bigger outboard on and the insurance agency agreed as long as he supplied pictures to them.  So I just tried the same thing and pleaded my case. 

To my surprise, they approved the 115hp to be put on the boat as long as there is no hull modifications and they want pictures of the stern of the boat showing the mounting of the motor.  That was the great thing!  Now, I just found out that I wasn't approved for the total cost of the window installation loan on my house and fear some of my motor funds will be dragged into the damn house windows.  Ugh, well whatever the case, at least now I know if I am dropping that amount of coin into a motor, that I can upgrade to a more usable motor for only a little bit more!

Well, thanks for reading.  Hopefully someone is getting out there shark fishing off the beach.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Upgrades Exceeding the Coast Guard Placard
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »
That's cool that the insurance will allow it, but what about the coast guard, dmv, etc.?

Have you looked into a different prop for the short term until you can do the motor?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »
That's cool that the insurance will allow it, but what about the coast guard, dmv, etc.?

Have you looked into a different prop for the short term until you can do the motor?

Capacity plates should never be removed, altered, or tampered with. While it is not a Federal violation for a boat owner to exceed the listed capacities, many states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit. Also, you may void your insurance policy if you are found to have exceeded the limits stated on your capacity plate.

It is mostly weight based and the weight of the 90 is identical to the 115.  No Federal laws governing an increase and I just checked the state laws and came up with nothing more than to follow the Federal regulations.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
Cool, sounds like you have a lot of room to work it out to get what you want then.  Nice!  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »
Cool, sounds like you have a lot of room to work it out to get what you want then.  Nice!  8)

Nothing ever easy happens.  Now the facility won't install the 115 if my plate says 90.  They know it's just a guidance, but for liability reasons, won't do it.  They will sell me a motor, but won't install it if it's over 90.  Fuggers.....

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
We can install it.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
We can install it.

You sure can.  Bolt pattern on the transom is probably the same.  Just seal the holes with clear silicone as you bolt it on.  Harness and steering cable should be pretty plug-n-play.  You've got a Sasquatch to lift the motor...  ;D

Boz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »
Not that this is going to be any help.  Have you put any thought about what your range will be with the bigger motor? 

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
What's the cost difference between the 90 & the 115?  You're an old school 'gear head' Tom, think back a few years.  Re working a small block from 200 hp to 300 hp was a remarkable difference, even if 350 hp would have been more fun.  Remember the old saying...."How fast can you make it?"   Answer..........."How much money you got?".  Just a thought, and for myself I can't imagine paying someone to mount an outboard for me  (unless it's a insurance thing).  Respect, Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
60hp is a fair amount of power? Why the need to almost double it for just one passenger?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get why a man needs 700hp in a Mustang, but is the increase in performance really going to be worth the extra cost and hassle?

I'd also be concerned about getting mechanics to work on the new motor. Damn lawyers will seize on anything to create a lawsuit, so are you going to run into problems with mechanics being reluctant to work on a "non-certified" configuration?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
OK, here is a quick synopsis for non-boat guys.  60hp is way underpowered for this boat.  It works fine if I am by myself, but 200# of extra weight drags it to where there is not enough torque to pop the boat up on plane or enough power that a big swell won't slow you down and almost stop you while running in once you get up on plane.  With that said, the 75-90-115 all weight the exact same and is 100# heavier than the 60hp I have.  That means putting a 75 HP on would almost negate any extra people on board due to it weighing 100 extra pounds.  90hp would be fine, but it is only a 50% increase and say negate the extra 200# person, but with a full bait tank, extra weight and anyone larger than 200# would possibly give me the same problem.  All Mako 18LTS have come with 115hp for the past 5 years... same hull and boat...  same weight as the 75 and 90hp.  The Jack Plate I have on the boat is rated for 115.

The motors back in 2010 were heavier and less efficient which called for that rating.  I'd rather have power when I need it than not have it when I don't.  It doesn't add more weight to the boat and only costs $1000 more considering you are dropping $10K.  I have to get back to work, but I hope this helps in understanding.  It's not just an "I want more power" thing.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Same weight, only 10% more money and around 40% more power...............when you put it that way Tom, it works for me   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect