Author Topic: Underspins Don't Work (5/5)  (Read 2431 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Underspins Don't Work (5/5)
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »
Well, hit the bay with Squatch in the morning.  The wind was already blowing, but supposed to get nasty in the afternoon.

We launched from a new ramp for me and it was easy getting out to the fishing grounds.  I have a couple of beautiful looking underspins that I wanted to give a shot and felt like this was the time and place to dot it.

Beautiful sunrise.

We hit my corvina spot and the underspin looked great.  Steve managed a spotty and a mackerel.  I must have got bit a dozen times and that underspin would just knock the fish off the hook!  I finally switched to a big swimbait and tried for halibut.  I finally get a good hit and fight in a nice upper teens halibut which spit the hook at the surface.  Ugh...

We hit multiple spots and I could not catch a fish on the underspin.  We should have had at least a dozen bass by now, but my stupid lure just was horrible.  I finally switch it out back to the usual MC and first cast got one.  Second cast I was bit.  Third cast and got another.  That just proved right there was a piece of crap that underspin is.

I also thought I had a really nice Hali on!  It hit the swimbait hard and made some blistering runs as well as dogged my gear pretty good.  Steve yells, "Sideways Halibut" and that it was.  It had me going though.

We made a lomg drift in where I lost count with the number of spotties I was catching.  Steve did not have such luck, but little did he know, I was using the secret sauce on my lures and it outfished his unscented lures 4:1.  It was pretty damn good fishing.  Lots of small bass and LOTS of lizard fish out there.

In this random drift, I hooked something different and it was target species!  My first Corvina of the day! (and not my last)

We were going to make that drift again, but decoded to check out some new areas since the wind was starting to pick up.  We made a stop where I've done well before and Squatch gets a blistering run!  We had no idea what it was at first.  Corvina?  YFC?  Oh crap!  swimbait Bonefish!

Steve was stoked as it was his first bonefish onthe swimmy!

We made another move and found a wolfpack of corvina feeding on micro bait!  We had a bunch of hits and misses, but Steve and I both picked up some more corvina!  It was so cool to see them all picking off bait!

In the meantime, I was still crushing the bass!  Apparently, they loved the flavor Pro-Cure I was dishing out!

Besides all of that, the 3-D side scan was killer!  I could see the corvina on the side scan and see big fish hanging around structure!  I swear I could watch that damn finder all day.

We stopped at one more spot before heading in and I got my 3rd Corvina!  I also caught most of the bass again.  Steve was not getting bit and I can only attribute it to not having any procure.  He'll have to buy some instead of mooching off me!  LOL

Well, it was a fun day out there.  I lost count of how many fish we had, but it was a lot.  Funny how it could have been more if I didn't waste 2 hours using that stupid underspin!!!!!

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Underspins Don't Work (5/5)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:41 AM »
 Thought maybe you would title this "Cheater Sauce Works Great."

Have to admit you easily out fished me 4-1 using it. I did mooch one time and got bit, but I prefer to save my mooching for other targets.

Super fun day on the water, and thanks for letting me come back and help wash the boat. Finished up just in time to shower and change and hit the pub with my friend for his birthday.

Heading out now for some cheater sauce.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »
Nice session boys. What size swimbait where you using and did color make a difference?
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
Nice session boys. What size swimbait where you using and did color make a difference?

The water was murky and I switched colors a few times, but it didn't seem to matter as I got bit either way.  They were definitely clued in on the scent though.  3-1/2" swimmies.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:59:12 AM »
First of all, you guys are living the dream.  Secondly, you killing me here Tom...........what flavor scent?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
OK... Underspins do work, but not as good as the traditional leadhead/swimmy combo.