Author Topic: Another tough night 1/15/15  (Read 4325 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Another tough night 1/15/15
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
Following seeing Tom's massive soupie I decided to go for our big critters even though reported conditions seemed less than ideal. We changed up spots, and moved a little farther south than our usual AO. The surf was pretty angry and the eel grass angrier, fished the incoming swing from 4:30PM to 8:30PM. Another night where the only way you know you're getting hit is once you get a  screamer. So as we waited for our next haul up of 15lbs of eel grass, my buddy says I think you just got hit. I was looking towards the water, which had just sent a 6ft bruiser of a breaker through, and I responded it was just eel grass pulling the line, and that if the rod went off now that it had passed then *ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*. I grabbed the rod layed the hook into it, immediate  explosion of energy. Massive thrashing headshakes, accompanied with rolls, and lots of thrashes on the surface. I had soupfin in my head and was getting excited, my buddy goes for the tail grab and I hear " It's a leopard!" Was the first time I was disappointed with a leopard, still stoked, but boy did she have me fooled. She seemed gravid, lots of weight to her belly, but my hook really got her good. After trying to remove it for a minute or two we just sacrificed the hook with the bolt cutters to get her underway.
This picture is funny as hell, in the moment of trying to keep her in control while taking her back to the sand.

Taped her and then snapped a quick pic.

This beach is deep, has a sheer 2ft depth right at the waters edge, with no sandbar. Stood in knee deep water holding her dorsal till she went on her way. Taped out to 56" and was a very heavy and healthy girl. I can't ever find bonito at my local fish markets but yesterday I found one that had Skipjack, so I got 4 frozen skipjack ready to go back to this spot when the surf is being a little nicer.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Another tough night 1/15/15
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »
LOL, great read.  Yep, I've been fooled by leopards before, but once you hook into a soupie, you never forget.

Great pics and it's so hard to keep them in control for a picture.  Those leos are so strong! 

Excellent!

(I hate when the eel grass is thick...)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »
"It's just weeds" some of my most famous words.

Nice leopard.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
Rockin! Way to score one in the tough conditions!

8)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »
The surf is being nicer today! Wish me luck and good luck to anyone going for it tonight. Good surf, Good Tide, let's hope eel grass is also not present.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
Good luck!  Get a soupie!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
Nice job man, I'm waiting to see another 7 pop up lol

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
Only a 4 hour session. Buddy managed a 70lbs range Bat that unhooked itself nicely in the surf. All I got was a 22" Leo on my small rod. Conditions were nicer but the weeds still just as mean. I'm hitting my old spot on Monday, Ray if you'd like to make the drive, you are more than welcome to come! I'll be the first to post a grinner! I WILL!  ;D

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »
Nice to see your making it consistently. Sounds pretty tempting man, I think I'm in. I'll be soaking mack today in the samo area. Bin real slow in the la county area , out of 6 trips in the last 2 weeks, only 1 decent bat, and misc species on lighter gear.