Author Topic: A Bait-Making Mission (8/23)  (Read 15537 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Bait-Making Mission (8/23)
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »
I had 4 generations of girl Drama happening and NEEDED to get out on the boat for a little R&R.... that and get some bait for shark fishing.  Steve was going to stay up north and try the pier and I was planning on being back by noon.  The MAW was happening this weekend, so I wasn't going to dare venture too far especially with the south swell rolling in.

I trolled a little through the no wake zone heading out to the inlet.  I dumped a bay bass before getting a little 9"er immediately after.  I started to troll again and got a surprise!  This croaker had to be hungry to pop up off the bottom to attack!

I stopped to make a few casts and had a great hit.  It was a scrappy 20" corvina.

I ran outside the inlet and started to catch a bunch of mack.  I didn't use the sabiki so much, but opted for a little more fun on the small irons.  I lost two bonito trying to swing them over the rail before finally getting two for the cooler.

I then hear a text message ring on my phone and see Steve quit Oceanside pier due to slow fishing and was down in the bay.  I picked him up at the courtesy dock and we went back out looking to get more bait.  We actually ran to some structure looking for maybe a better bite, but instead Steve caught a nice Sandy on the 4#.

We ran back outside the inlet and got some more mack but it was s lowing down a lot.  It was definitely a morning bite.

7 species today which was a nice assortment and best of all I filled 4 sacks for some sharking.  The macks varied in size from one-baiters to three-baiters.  The bonito are just bordering too big, but they are definitely nice ones for sharking.

~Tight Lines!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xpoc

• Shovelnose
  • Amat Victoria Curam
    • View Profile
Re: A Bait-Making Mission (8/23)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
What fun!

Maybe I'll change up my target species next time I hit up the bay.
BAT FIGHT!!! SD4TH3W1N 2016

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Thanks for the pick up Tom. It was good to get some fresh bait.

Limulus

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
Damn nice bait haul guys. I got one bone in the freezer for you, maybe more after my weekend.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
yes sir
GET OUT AND GET BIT..