Author Topic: Sat. 7/19 N9 to 182  (Read 14665 times)

Gofishgobig

• Shovelnose
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Sat. 7/19 N9 to 182
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »
Had the pleasure of fishing with Latimeria on Saturday out of MB. Long wait to get bait, 30+ min playing the weekend fisherman's card.
Plan was to head to the N9 as reports late in the week came in we decided it would be a good starting point? Everybody and their uncle, cousin and
brother were out there. Trolled thru the area and all the chatter on the radio was just a lot boats complaining about nothing going on in the area.
We decide to point towards the 182 in hopes of finding that one kelp to put limits in the box and call it an early day???  So we troll and troll... and troll.
Finally find a small kelp for nada. Zigging and zagging to no avail. See a group of boats stops outside a few miles with warship 23 doing mine drop maneuvers and decide to join the parking lot and drift for a while with them, watching to see if other boats were hooking up. Couple sporties in the group and lots of terns dipping and doing the right thing. A few fish get hung here and there and we watch from a distance. We see and nice yacht pull in right off our stern and two on board get hooked instantly.   My crew watching this in frustration soaking and chumming our anchovy and me tossing
my sardine colored megabait and letting it sink out, then retrieve at a high rate,  over and over. About 1/2 hour into our drift bam!!! I get hammered on the megabait and it's game on! Managed to put a 33.5lb BFT on the deck. Skunk is off the GEII for the day! We try for a good 45min  more watching a couple more fish get hung on other boats around us and decide to move on. Trollers back in and about a 1.5 S of the 182 we get a double blind strike for 1.5 YFT a Mako was in the same zone and decided to take half of one of our 14lb tuna!!!  ARRRGH!! Boxed the area for nothing and hit the high spot, find a couple more kelps that were empty so work our way back to the area where we got the blind strikes for nada. Found several nice pods of porpoise and worked them for nada! Final count for the 4 of us. 1 nice BFT and 1.5 YFT. Back to the barn around 6pm.

Tight lines...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:17:07 PM by Gofishgobig »
Tight lines....

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Sat. 7/19 N9 to 182
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
 Thats a nice bluefin you got there. We did about the same thing on sunday but avoided the boats for the most part.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
Nice job guys.

We were out as well in the morning, had a nice scoop of sardine from SD. Wind stacked waves pretty tight but we fought on in the 19ft. Hit the nine, out to the parking lot, even past that another 10 miles and couldn't find squadoosh. Trolled, threw baits on birds, circled ponies ... ugh! Had a buddy out there and passed off Sardines. They went to the 182 and scored 3 YFT. Then were called in on an afternoon bite of big BFTs near the border. They raced down and scored one.

Great pic! Congrats!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
Nice!  I can't wait for this forum to get all tidied up and attached to the website! 

Thanks for posting Don!  I'm thinking now that I should have pinned that mangled yellowfin on some steel leader and crushed that big mako!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Gofishgobig

• Shovelnose
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
One BFT on the deck .... 8)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:42:24 AM by Gofishgobig »
Tight lines....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
Here are some other shots of the day.

Bad start of the day...

Almost run over by a Warship!

Bastard Mako!

At least we got an untouched one onboard!

Good times as always Don!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:41 AM »
 I really like the pics of the shark bit tuna.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
killer .  those sharks are really messing up my tubing a paddy plan..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..