Author Topic: Offshore Fishing with Chad and the Unthinkable! (7/28)  (Read 3873 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Offshore Fishing with Chad and the Unthinkable! (7/28)
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
So Chad wanted to come down and cash in his first place prize for winning the Spring Shark contest this year.  Per NOAA, it was supposed to be a perfect day out there... wrong again.  Wind was 2x what they were calling for and it blew from the south from the get-go.

It started great though.  We made about 2 dozen macks in 15 minute to load the baitwell and headed off shore.  The water was 75+ on the inner banks and either clean or green depending how far down the line you ran.  Chad yelled "Shark!" and sure enough, there was a 5 foot mako swimming at the surface.  Soon as we reeled in the trollers, the wind waves were so bad we couldn't locate it again, so an attempt to catch him was out of the question.

We went back to trolling and it is white capping everywhere!  Absolutely insane trying to power up into the south wind, but we tried as good as we could but started taking water over the bow.

All of a sudden, my Penn 50 wide with big tuna stick went screaming!  BIG FISH ON!  It hit my brand new jet/chugger head and was screaming out line.  I dumped about 500-600 yards just on the first run!  Chad took charge of driving the boat and helping me out by getting my big fighting belt and back harness! This thing was kicking my ass and kept getting a second... and third wind.  I would gain about 100 yards and he'd take about 120.  No doubt in our minds it was a huge Bluefin of a lifetime and Chad and I were discussing how we were going to take it when it gets boatside.  He pulled out the tail rope, meat hook on rope and all other ways to dispatch it were ready to go, but I was getting hammered by this thing.  I had to have water quite a few times because I was drying out sweating during the battle.  I had about 700 yards of 100# braid out at the worst part of my battle, but had 300# mono leader to the trolling lure, so felt good that I hooked it on the right gear! 
The first hour+ went by and we were about 7 miles from where we hooked him up and still going....  My arm, back and hands are killing me!  Blistered up and just raw from the fight.  My back harness doesn't have clips, but quick release v hooks just in case I get pulled overboard, I could quickly get off of my reel from being pulled down. 
More time passed and I had the reel clamped down to full drag now for 20 + minutes.  I can't even pull full drag from my reel, but this fish was dumping it no problem!  No sight of it yet as it has either stayed sounded or would come up to the surface, but not show itself.  Anytime we came around some dolphins, it would get another wind and try to swim with them, so Chad and I turned the boat to keep it away.

FINALLY we got it boatside!  Chad jumped into acti
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Offshore Fishing with Chad and the Unthinkable! (7/28)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
? well what happened?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »
? well what happened?

Had to run to circle k for more minutes on his phone call d.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
Tom must be having some technical difficulties so I'll jump in.

This was the most intense fight I've ever seen!  I've only been out on the ocean a handful of times and the last time was probably 15 years ago.
Tom is sweating like crazy, I'm trying my best do everything he's telling me to, getting gear ready, steer the boat, more throttle, less throttle, not fall overboard with the swells pitching us around like crazy!

Every time we gained some line this fish took it all back.  A couple of times we thought we saw it, a flash of blue here and there.  Tom's explaining what I need to do when we get it to the boat and how/where to gaff it (I've never gaffed a fish!).  All I can think about is how bad I'm going to feel if I screw up and we loose it.

Then I start thinking about what we're going to do with a 200+ lb. bluefin when we get it gaffed??  How will we get it in this little boat??

Finally it seems to be tiring out and slowly Tom is able to put more line back on the reel.  Little by little we get it closer and finally see the trophy!!

A dolphin!  No, not a dorado, but a dolphin, like Flipper!  A huge full grown adult!   
Visions of fame and pictures in the paper after landing a trophy bluefin on a two man boat are dashed and we're left contemplating how the heck we're going to get this thing unhooked  :o
After trying for a bit longer to get it closer, it was clear that the only way was to cut the line as close to it as possible. 
Once it was gone, we just drifted a bit so Tom could recover and we could decide what to do next.

We decided to keep tolling and see if we could find the reel thing but the weather was tough and no one out there was having any luck.  We did get to see the Mako and a big mola which was really cool!   Stopped on the way in for some rockfish and I beat the skunk with a Johnny bass. 
Even though the dolphin was a bit of a disappointment, it was a really cool experience to see Tom fight the fish and learn how to control the boat.
I had a blast and can't wait for my next time out!
Thanks again Tom!!!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
Damn... you need a redo!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
? well what happened?

Had to run to circle k for more minutes on his phone call d.

Ha ha ha   ;D

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »
Tom must be having some technical difficulties so I'll jump in.

This was the most intense fight I've ever seen!  I've only been out on the ocean a handful of times and the last time was probably 15 years ago.
Tom is sweating like crazy, I'm trying my best do everything he's telling me to, getting gear ready, steer the boat, more throttle, less throttle, not fall overboard with the swells pitching us around like crazy!

Every time we gained some line this fish took it all back.  A couple of times we thought we saw it, a flash of blue here and there.  Tom's explaining what I need to do when we get it to the boat and how/where to gaff it (I've never gaffed a fish!).  All I can think about is how bad I'm going to feel if I screw up and we loose it.

Then I start thinking about what we're going to do with a 200+ lb. bluefin when we get it gaffed??  How will we get it in this little boat??

Finally it seems to be tiring out and slowly Tom is able to put more line back on the reel.  Little by little we get it closer and finally see the trophy!!

A dolphin!  No, not a dorado, but a dolphin, like Flipper!  A huge full grown adult!   
Visions of fame and pictures in the paper after landing a trophy bluefin on a two man boat are dashed and we're left contemplating how the heck we're going to get this thing unhooked  :o
After trying for a bit longer to get it closer, it was clear that the only way was to cut the line as close to it as possible. 
Once it was gone, we just drifted a bit so Tom could recover and we could decide what to do next.

We decided to keep tolling and see if we could find the reel thing but the weather was tough and no one out there was having any luck.  We did get to see the Mako and a big mola which was really cool!   Stopped on the way in for some rockfish and I beat the skunk with a Johnny bass. 
Even though the dolphin was a bit of a disappointment, it was a really cool experience to see Tom fight the fish and learn how to control the boat.
I had a blast and can't wait for my next time out!
Thanks again Tom!!!

Wow, that was a great experience. I'm glad you had a good time.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
Thats a bummer

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
Sooo... dolphin aye... what times dinner? Dibs on the head!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:34:26 AM »
Damn guys, I'm still tired from just reading about the fight....................
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
Damn guys, I'm still tired from just reading about the fight....................

Ha ha..Me too.  ;D

I was expecting to see some pictures too! >:(
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »

Ha ha..Me too.  ;D

I was expecting to see some pictures too! >:(

We thought about it... but not going to be that viral guy as you guys would post it everywhere!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 04:20:33 AM »
We thought about it... but not going to be that viral guy as you guys would post it everywhere!

Local Yocal tries to kill FLIPPER!!!!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »

Local Yocal tries to kill FLIPPER!!!!!!

Hahahaha, Exactly!