Author Topic: Hitting the Century Mark and Beyond (5/19)  (Read 3118 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Hitting the Century Mark and Beyond (5/19)
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:40 AM »
I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I usually do, but the bite was so hot that I didn't want to stop to take any pictures.

Squatch and I hit the Big Bay looking to find some halibut and corvina.  The tide was SOOO LOW that the usual normal spots I fish, I couldn't fish due to it only being 3.5' at a minus tide!  We tried some deeper holes which weren't that much deeper at all.

Well, no butts, but a generally higher mid-grade of bass started coming over the rail.  I told Steve I was going to count them aloud so he knew how many we caught.  The numbers started growing.
Steve finally breaks our bass streak with a corvina.

Nothing was really big this morning until we saw a beach ball floating... wait, that's a head!  A big old sea turtle was eyeing us!  He popped up a few times before disappearing out of sight.

So the catching continued. In the first 2 hours we had over 50 fish!

The Cheater Sauce was key though.  I never gave it that much credit the first few years, but I'm 100% convinced of how effective it is.

I move around to a few spots while we are continuing to catch and stop in an area that looks good on the finder.  Hardly a bite and Squatch says, "Are you sure you wanted to stop here?"....  DAMN VILE MUSA FRUIT!!!!!

This would curse me soon after.....  I made a cast and the second it hit the water, line started peeling out with violent head shakes.  I thought it was a big halibut at first, but it was instantaneous and was stumped.
It thrashed and shook until my line snapped.  I was so bummed, but couldn't do anything about it as my 8# setup with 10# fluoro leader had no chance.  Just as my heart was breaking, a HUGE croaker (Corvina or White Sea Bass) came up and smashed bait right next to the boat!  We saw the back of it and definitely one of the two, but I'd believe it was a WSB over a corvina because of the sheer size!  Just then, another one smashed next to the boat and holy sh!t!  They were huge!  It looked like a whale footprint with the amount of water they were moving and we saw that they were feeding on big Needlefish!  We kept casting everything we had at them, but nothing! 
Then a third one slams bait right next to the boat!

I know if I said 20# plus fish, most of you would think I was exaggerating, but they quite possibly were as Steve who was there was freaking out about this whole thing going on around the boat.
Oh well, we had one chance and of course I hooked one on the smallest gear I brought.   :-[

We kept at it until we got to fish 99... then Steve caught #100 between us!  We decided to start trolling our way back since we got to a hundred fish in 4 hours which is incredible fishing.

It took 2 minutes before Steve got another corvina!  I only had one corvina that shook off too far from the boat for me to count, but Steve got 4 by now.

2 minutes after starting the troll again and I get Whalloped on the Rapala!  I had to turn the boat around and chase it because it was peeling all my line out (Different Rod with 12# test).  I finally got it circling the boat when I saw it was like a 40-50 pound bat ray on the troll!  WTF!?!

We started to head back when we noticed birds diving everywhere with a few boats under them.  We ran over and was getting immediately smashed!   There was everything here... giant macks, yellowfin croaker, corvina, bass... everything!  Steve and I threw on mega baits and immediately started catching everything, but mostly yellowfin croaker!  the first few were really big ones, but by the time I stopped to take a picture of one, they were slowly getting slightly smaller.

We only caught 10 sport caught macks total, but we still kept count with all of the fish we were catching!  The wind was brutal and soon the birds and bait disappeared, so we moved on to one more spot.
The last spot we both picked up more bass and Steve hit #50!

We called it the day with Steve having 50 fish and I had 83!!!!  133 total fish between 6:30 and 12:00!!!

No halibut and only one chance at a monster, but a great day in the books and possibly one of my best numbers days on the big bay.

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:41:05 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting the Century Mark and Beyond (5/19)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »
Super fun day.

Those boils were huge.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »
We called it the day with Steve having 50 fish and I had 83!!!!  133 total fish between 6:30 and 12:00!!!

I'm speechless..........and a little jealous.  Absolutely awesome day guys, stoked for both of you   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »

I'm speechless..........and a little jealous.  Absolutely awesome day guys, stoked for both of you   :)
Thanks Verne

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
That's an awesome day!  I'd love to stumble on some diving birds like that.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
Wow, a fish count that high is amazing with such a low tide too.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Wow, a fish count that high is amazing with such a low tide too.

Isaac

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:32:39 AM »
Wow, a fish count that high is how many weight watchers points do i get amazing with such a low tide too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:56:47 AM by Isaac »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »
Wow, a fish count like that is amazing with such a low tide too.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)