Author Topic: Sevengill Frenzy  (Read 3245 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Sevengill Frenzy
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »
Headed out with Steve last night to try and get on a few sharks and use up the questionable bait that we had left (Macks have been absent lately so we were down to a bat ray and a ripe yellowfin croaker). We arrive at the spot and conditions were great. We were worrying about salad but there was very little in the water and we made a point of removing all the clumps that had been washed up by the previous tide and tossing them above the high tide line so they wouldn't turn into a problem later. About 30 minutes in and my clicker starts going off. Hooked into a small sevengill that threw the circle hook just beyond the breakers. Very annoyed but I figured that if I landed the next one it would make up for it (foreshadowing). A little while later Steve gets one about five feet long and we release it after a few photos. I set up a second rod to improve my chances and cast it out near where I hooked the first one. Suddenly, I see my rod that hooked the first fish start to do the weird Sevengill pumping thing and when the line goes slack I reel up and set the hook hard. I set it a few more times to make sure it's really in there and fight it up to the surf line. It looks a little bigger than the first one I farmed and I'm determined not to lose it. As it comes up to the breakers I see a particularly large wave carry it up and slam it down onto the sand, throwing the hook AGAIN. I'd like to say I handled it with dignity but a more accurate assessment of what happened is a long string of (loud) four letter words and creative phrases featuring said four letter words. I look at the bat ray strip that was still attached to my circle and notice that the thick piece likely didn't give the hook much capacity to rotate and screw into the fish like it's supposed to. I adjust by re-rigging my baits so they're hooked on the thin side of the strip and cast out again, praying the fish gods give one more shot. Steve hooks and loses another Sevengill in the meantime and I my mind starts to wander towards dangerous territory (treble hooks). A little later I switch the rod I'm holding with the one in the holder to check for weeds and when i go back to the former rod I notice the line is slack. I figure it's probably just from moving the rod around and reel in a couple turns but when the line is still slack about five turns later I realize what's happening and tighten up to the third angry sevengill of the night. It runs to the right and jumps before veering course and sending me 50 yards down the beach. Steve tries to tail rope it but it slaps the tail rope off and he's forced to grab it and drag it up the beach. A nice 6.5' male Sevengill! A few photos and back he goes. So stoked to have finally redeemed myself.

About a half an hour later Steve hooks up again into the biggest one of the night. This one takes him up and down the beach and into every other line that's out. Both of us are busy with Steve working on bringing him in and me running up and down trying to get the lines clear and prevent a horrible tangle (I didn't). However we get the shark free and a little while later it's time to wade in and grab him. Our tailrope disappeared so I went into about thigh deep water and shone Steve's headlamp into the water, trying to find the shark in the wash. I realized his head was about a foot in front of me. He lunges and I go around the far side to where his tail is and grab him before dragging him up onto the sand. An awesome 8 foot Sevengill! We take some pictures and release him. We planned to fish some more but after dealing with the horrible tangle that ensued we decide to throw in the towel for the night and end it on a high note. Awesome session overall and I can't wait to head out again!

Photos are here: https://kamran-walsh.smugmug.com/Sevengills-519/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:59:06 PM by Kam_Walsh98 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Sevengill Frenzy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
You more than made up for the ones you lost, congrats on a multi shark session..............V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:38:22 AM »
Very artsy pics! That's a hell of a sesh. Slayin!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:09:02 AM »
Well, that is a hell of a night indeed!  That's one thing with these Sevengills, they can throw the hook!
Congrats on the roller coaster evening!

You guys are catching enough quality sharks to warrant a nice point and shoot camera!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
On fire!
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
Nice meeting you Thursday Kam, congrats on your Cali 7! 8) I'll gladly be your camera guy next time ;)

Treecatcher

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
Definitely a night to remember!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
Glad to hear someone is getting some action down here. I thought I took bad pictures.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
You guys better watch going too deep with an irate 7gill in the water.

South Africans are afraid of them over others. Probably the most dangerous thing in the surf

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 06:54:02 PM »
Hey, I read both of these reports and I'm a little confused on who caught what.  I entered in what I read through the two reports and just want to make sure I have it correct.  8)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
Hey, I read both of these reports and I'm a little confused on who caught what.  I entered in what I read through the two reports and just want to make sure I have it correct.  8)

Pretty sure Steve caught one 5 footer and one 84 incher, and I caught one 6.5 footer. He was the one with the measuring tape though so his measurements are likely more accurate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:58:29 PM by Kam_Walsh98 »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »

Pretty sure Steve caught one 5 footer and one 84 incher, and I caught one 6.5 footer. He was the one with the measuring tape though so his measurements are likely more accurate.

OK, so I read it right.  I'll post up the list tonight when I get back from work. Just one last question, was it on the incoming tide?  Nice work guys.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Yeah all during the incoming tide.