Author Topic: Dad (GilB) Got his first Sevengill! 20180607  (Read 2450 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Dad (GilB) Got his first Sevengill! 20180607
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Dad (GilB) Got his first Sevengill! 20180607

Met dad after work at the normal time to try a new spot out.  It looks promising, with good structure, access, and great conditions, but after two and a half hours we only had one bite on my rod and it was probably a critter. 

As dusk grew near, we made the decision to jump to another spot.  Conditions were great here too and we started soaking macs at about 8:00.  After a few minutes, I get my first knock down, a long screaming run straight out.  We all know what that is!  Not the target, but after a 10 minute fight I had mid 30’s bat ray on the sand and fresh bait!  I dispatched it quickly and soon we had 3 rods out soaking chunks of bat ray. 
   About 20 minutes goes by and my dad gets a good thump on his rod.  He picks it up, feels a little pressure, and then nothing so he brought it in and rebaited.  I checked the bait on one rod and recasted.  Just as I’m setting the rod in the spike, I saw my other rod do the sevengill shuffle and ran to grab it.  Felt pressure and cranked down in it to set the circle hook and fish on!  Right then my other rod goes off!  I yelled to my dad who ran over and set the hook on a second shark, we got a double!  We fought both fish for about 10 minutes and I got mine in the wash first.  I had him hold both rods so I could get mine up on the beach.  This was a bad decision on my part as he wasn’t able to keep tight on his fish and it was able to throw the hook.  We got to work unhooking, measuring and releasing the one I landed, a 91” male sevengill.

As I was getting my rods sorted out, my dad got another pick up on his rod.  He actually had this one on for a couple minutes.  Head shakes and tail slaps.  Then it goes slack again.  Grrrrr!  We hurry to get more bait back in the water as the Sheriff usually rolls through around 10:30 to kick us out.  Joe showed up about then and as we’re talking my dad gets another big hit.  He runs to his pole and gets the hook set firmly and it’s on!  This shark is pretty ornery and takes a couple good runs.  After a good battle I was able to get it by the tail and drag it up the beach.  Congratulations on your first Sevengill Dad! 
82.5” male sevengill on a bat ray chunk.

We packed it up at that point since my dad had a longer drive home.  Joe headed up to try a new spot and I’m pretty sure he pulled an all nighter.  I saw his truck this morning, but when I walked down the beach I could find him.  You ok Joe?
   Great night for us and super happy for my dad’s first sevengill!

xjchad:   Male sevengill, 91”, outgoing tide, bat ray chunk.
GilB:   Male sevengill, 82.5” outgoing tide, bat ray chunk.     
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:29:50 AM by xjchad »

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Dad (GilB) Got his first Sevengill! 20180607
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
Congrats to your dad on his first 7 gill. Sounds like you guys had a great night!

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
Congrats to your dad! 8) That 91" is THICK! You pulling a souvenir or was that where the hook struck? ;)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
Congrats to your dad! 8) That 91" is THICK! You pulling a souvenir or was that where the hook struck? ;)

LOL, yes, I was looking for a loose one, but no luck!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Treecatcher

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
Great job! I’m glad the new spot paid off!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
Hell yeah Chad!! We know who's responsible now for the decrease in the local bat ray population ;) Ventura is hot while San Diego is not :( I pulled some bottom teeth for Josh once, pretty cool.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
Way to go Chad n Dad.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
Chad and Dad indeed!  That's a great shark to lead off the June Tourney!

Wow, It looks I have some work to do now!  Well done guys!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
Great job Dad!

And nice job taking the lead in the June shark contest!

8) 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?