Author Topic: Hit a New Spot  (Read 2063 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Hit a New Spot
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
With the high surf and salad chasing us off our normal spots, we decided to try a new spot that geographically should have been sheltered from the surf and salad. We also had some intel that threshers were in the area, and given the structure of the spot, reachable with hand casts from the shore. So we hit the sand at 4:30 am. Surf was non existent and so was the salad. Ok, there was a little salad, but after what we've been dealing with, it was nothing. Rigged with floats and mono because we were going after threshers. We dropped baits to see if it would make any difference, and tossed out a couple from shore. Got a ton of action on the hand cast rods, but it was mostly critters. Still, it kept us busy. Landed 3 small smooth hounds, a sand bass, a 30 inch class bat, a decent shovey, and a star fish. Star fish was fair caught ;D

The dropped baits got some love taps, but no commitments. Then one of the dropped baits goes off, but when we get it in the mono had been cut. We didn't think this spot would hold those kinds of grinners, so we sent it back out with some heavier gear and a nice chunk of fresh bat ray. Yeah, yeah, I know. It still bothers me. But if that's what the big boys and girls wanna eat ;D

We got a little more love on the dropped baits, but nothing stuck. We were running out of bait and the beach was starting to fill up with tourists, so we punched out at 1:00pm.

No trophies, but at least we got out on the big pond, kept busy and caught some fish. Was secretly hoping for a nice 'butt, but no go. Guy fishing up the beach from us caught one, and we did have a bunch of nice bites that came back with missing or mauled baits, but it just wasn't our fate that day.

Not liking the surf forecasts, but it is what it is and there's still 20 days left to win the contest 8) 
Anybody have an emergency beer?

TerraFirmaTackle

• Shovelnose
  • The Ultimate Tackle for the Ultimate Gamefish
    • View Profile
    • Terra Firma Tackle
Re: Hit a New Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »
The one that got away is still buggin’ me! Broke my long standing rule of never running mono/flouro on the float and it cost us :( Next time!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
You guys are working it hard as always, it's bound to payoff!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:27:09 AM »
so we sent it back out with some heavier gear and a nice chunk of fresh bat ray. Yeah, yeah, I know. It still bothers me. But if that's what the big boys and girls wanna eat

I keep hearing about using it for bait with good results.  I have no problem cutting up perch for leo bait, but for some reason carving up a bat just ain't happening    ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
so we sent it back out with some heavier gear and a nice chunk of fresh bat ray. Yeah, yeah, I know. It still bothers me. But if that's what the big boys and girls wanna eat

I keep hearing about using it for bait with good results.  I have no problem cutting up perch for leo bait, but for some reason carving up a bat just ain't happening    ;D

It takes a little getting used to  :-[
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 05:46:33 AM »
I love all the work you are putting in Chip!  You are over-due for something soon!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.