Author Topic: Mako vs Mako (7/1)  (Read 2095 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mako vs Mako (7/1)
« on: July 02, 2018, 06:13:38 AM »
Len (Skrilla) and I jumped on the boat to see what we could see offshore yesterday.  Tried to make bait to no avail.  Some spots of sardine, but the mackerel were missing, so we headed out.  Found a few paddies 12 miles out and tried a bunch of options for nade.  Saw one baby perch on a paddy, but that was it.  We trolled for a while for nothing.  I metered some deep marks, and dropped the flutter jig and deep irons on them for nada.

We reeled in the trollers and made a fast run looking for life out there.  Water was SUPER clean and Chilly!  66 to be exact.  After finding no more vegetation out there, we decided to run inshore and try for yellows.  I was on the lookout for Makos also as I told Len that I wanted to harvest one if necessary.

Got in to a small parking lot and threw the iron around.  I saw some huge boils that pushed a lot of water around and said "What the hell is that?".  Len replied "Dolphin".... until we saw GIANT yellows smashing sardines on the surface only 75 yards away!  I shot a little closer to casting range, but they sunk out and nothing.  f@ck, I need to get plumbing on my bait well instead of the bubbler. 

Just then I look down and right next to the boat is a small 3" baby mako!  I pulled my iron out of the water and pinned a whole squid on it and dropped it back in.  It was cool to watch it all light up and take the squid.  He's hooked, now what?!?!

Len took a short video on his phone and the mako got  a quick release.  We ended up with a handful of rockfish and calico bass, but we didn't stop long enough to take any pictures.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even  keep any of the keepers.  It was a long weekend, and I just wanted one less thing to do when I got home.

Well thanks for reading.  I'll try to get the short video posted on here soon.  Len needs to turn up the resolution on his videos though.  He has it set to "Minecraft" mode.  lol

https://www.facebook.com/latimeria.chalumnae.9/videos/10205352425486225/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:01:39 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Mako vs Mako (7/1)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
Tough day!
Cool you saw that baby Mako though!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
Tough day!
Cool you saw that baby Mako though!

All the fish were south.  I should have ran down, but wanted to stay away from the crowds.  Oh well, next time.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
Eh, phone had to resize to be able to send it. Wasn't NatGeo level anyways. Besides the jumping mola earlier was waayyy cooler. But nothing as wild as a Dave sighting!  :o

Thanks again Tom. Hopefully you'll be slicing sashimi for days after the next peek outside.