Author Topic: The Plague (7/15)  (Read 5217 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Plague (7/15)
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
Squatch and I had plans to hit the inshore humps for Tuna, but the 6 second west intervals on top of the other swell direction and wind waves made for a bumpy ride on the way.  It was not long on the way out before we decided to just head down to IB and look for anything closer in.  On the way, we passed a small 4 footish mako.  There was tons of bait around and we heard a big splash.  I casted my brand new flatfall out to see if any yellows were hanging around.  Well, that mako turned 180 degrees and shot over at lightning speed and grabbed my jig!  As I was fighting it, my line bunched up on the side (full new spool of line)  and I had to strip some line off before reeling in again.  This gave it time to turn on me and run the teeth across my line.  BING!  Brand new flat fall gone...  :-[

We stop at the pipe and find tones of bait below as well as plenty of fish marks.  It was a slow pick, but a steady one.  We caught some for the box and released the rest.  This Calico was the nicest bass of the day and put up a great fight!

I didn't take pics of all the Oobly Gooblies (Reds, Johnny Bass, Calico Rocks etc), but then I cast the most beautiful swimbait combo out and I get hit hard!  It was a nicer grade fish and I thought it was a yellow when the line snipped loose!  WTF!?!?  All of a sudden, a mako popped up with my swimbait in it's mouth.  DAMN!  Mako number two stole some more nice gear!

Steve and I continued to pick away including some nice 3# Turd Rollers.

Then I hook what seemed to be a nice bass or possibly a Lingcod.  It started to get heavier and heavier and started stripping line.  Once again, I thought it was a yellow or WSB possibly.  Then it happened again.  Line got cut.  When Steve asked me what pound test I had, I replied 60# topshot.  He didn't appear to believe me or thought I was trying to trick him.  All of a sudden, the bass pops up in the mouth of another mako! WTF!  I shot the boat over to see if it had my swimbait still in the bass' mouth, but I wasn't going to reach my hand in the water to grab the bass in case the mako tried to taste some people fingers.

I gaffed the poor sucker and no sswimbait in it's mouth.   :(

The shark swam off and we decided to leave.  Our goal was to troll until we found birds or a paddy.  All of a sudden, we saw a ton of birds on the inside and trolled over to investigate.  Terns for miles!  Diving Pelicans, Terms, Seagulls!  Everywhere!  We stopped trolling and just watched for a bit.  I'm not kidding when I say the birds stretched for at least 3 miles long and 1 mile wide!

Bait everywhere!

Birds everywhere!

All of a sudden we started to see fish and the finder had some familiar marks on it!

Well, wide open CUDA!  So much fun!

Steve got good at having them release at the boat so we didn't have to hold those slimy bastards.

I totally lost count.  Steve was hand feeding them the iron next to the boat like he was sunny fishing and they were grabbing it!  So nuts!

I tried getting some underwater shots as the amount of biomass around here was ungodly!  It's been years since I've caught cuda and probably a decade since I've seen this biomass of it.

Well, It was a long ride back to the ramp.  We launched from the South Bay as OTL was going on and MB was going to be a nightmare.

I have to get back to work here, so I will try and get more up on here later.
Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Re: The Plague (7/15)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »
Bad luck with the lost gear and the mako, but dude, awesome day.

Why didn't you bait the mako?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
Why didn't you bait the mako?

I didn't want a live chainsaw in the boat since I wasn't planning on keeping him.  lol

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:06:36 AM »
I love WFO cudas! So fun on the surface iron. I need a boat :(
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
So so day for me. Got a few fish off the pipe.

Seeing a shark bit bass was a first for me.

WFO cuda for an hour or so til we left them to run home made the day a total blast.

Funnest part was bouncing a jig on 3 feet of line over the side as cuda made pass after pass until it got hooked.

What a way to end a trip.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
Crazy action, sounds like a blast!
Can't wait for my turn  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
You won, so let me know when you want to come down. Message me and we'll figure out what we will hunt.   8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
You won, so let me know when you want to come down. Message me and we'll figure out what we will hunt.   8)

Chad has decided the drive is too far for him so he wants me to go in his place. Just text me when you're ready  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
Looks like fun guys, barracuda are fun until you have to touch them   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Wow, that sounds like quite the day!  Would love to see one of those makos someday.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »
I love WFO cudas! So fun on the surface iron. I need a boat :(

Donfish called me up and said his neighbor has a 17' Whaler with new(er) low hour 4-stroke on it and in immaculate condition.  He moved inland from the shore and has no use for it out where ever the hell Don lives.  He is selling at a Great price, I think he said 7 or $8K.

Call Don or message him if you are interested.  You NEED a BOAT!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »

Chad has decided the drive is too far for him so he wants me to go in his place. Just text me when you're ready  ;)

Somehow I don't believe you.  LOL

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
Wow, that sounds like quite the day!  Would love to see one of those makos someday.

Makos are all over in the early summer every year.  They are not too afraid of anything and just look for the fins.  You can see them off LJ most years in 80 feet of water.  Last year Steve and I saw a 7 footer roaming outside the kelp looking for bonito to eat.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »

Oh I'll make the drive!
Maybe stay the night and chase sharks with you guys too  :D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »

Oh I'll make the drive!
Maybe stay the night and chase sharks with you guys too  :D

Let's do it!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)