Author Topic: Floating Cabins 2018  (Read 3071 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Floating Cabins 2018
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
It's been a few years since we've taken our staycation on the floating cabins, but from my new job and lack of vacation time, it was our family vacation of choice.  It was hot as hell, so I made most of the hot days while I was soaking mackerel off the back porch.

It wasn't wide open any of the days or nights, but I did end up with about 30 cats, a dozen bass and a dozen red ear.  I tried for carp, but I couldn't get one to bite.

Typical size cat was at 3 pounds.

Hannah got about a dozen cats, but she didn;t like all of the mosquitoes, so told me when she had a fish on and she would run out to catch it and run back in before getting eaten alive. The mosquitoes were about as bad as I ever seen in San Diego.  I was killed those nights!

The cats got bigger to 4.19 pounds that night.

I left a mackerel head out over night all of my nights there, and woke up to a fish every morning. 
View every morning!

My wife and I also took my daughter out on the paddleboat every day.  I always brought my bass rod and got a couple of 10-12 inch models on the creature bait.

We even had a great daytime bite on cats one of the days!

Finally got some bigger models up to 4.95 pounds, but most still were cookie cutter sized after the week.  2.5# to 4.95# were the range...

The last day I went small jigging for Sunfish and bass.  It worked out awesome.  Lot's off pee-pee bass and catfish bait sized sunny's.

Finally my wife said "When are you going to catch a bigger bass?"  That was a kick in the cajones, so I grabbed the bass rod and on my first cast caught a decent bass.  My wife was impressed and thought I set her up as she couldn't believe she just said that and I came through with flying colors!  LOL

Skinny and long....

Well, It was like the same story day in and night out.  I woke up at 4am at the cabins, caught my morning catfish, and ran to work.  Not a bad week at the cabins, but no giants that I was hoping for.  In any case, it was a great time with the family and even had my stepdaughter stop by for dinner and catch up with us.  Win-Win for me!

OK, time to get back to work.  It looks like Steve is still in the Catfish lead!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Floating Cabins 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
Well that looks like a great place for some family time!
Great pics Tom!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
Phew.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »
Sounds like a fun little staycation there! I say use a trot line setup next time and see what shows up the next morning. ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
That clantee lakes?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)