Author Topic: Free Time vs Overtime  (Read 2072 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Free Time vs Overtime
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:04:05 AM »
I find myself in an unusual predicament.  I used to have plenty of free time at my old job.  New job has plenty (or too much) of overtime.  I like getting the extra cash, but it's starting to weigh heavy as I have no time to even get to the things I need to get done let alone to the things I want to do.

Well, I guess I'll feed the pig as long as possible and suck it up like a buttercup in the meantime.  I wish I could say I was saving for my boat upgrades, but it somehow turned into the house money.  Crazy how that sort of stuff happens.

Not many posts during the slower summer surf sessions, so I'm just making small talk.  I think this means for you guys to start posting more fishing trips since I KNOW you are out fishing!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Free Time vs Overtime
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
I could put in a lot of extra time at my job since I'm so slammed, but I'm salary..  ::)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »
Even though I'm management, I'm still hourly. I try to avoid OT as much as possible, but it happens. I have fished, but not in the mood to post skunk reports. Hoping tonight yields something.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
My current job has made me hate ot. It sucks having to get home, eat, shower , and go straight to bed and still not even get 8 hrs of sleep before you gotta get up and do it again.

A few days in a row of that burns you out and its not even worth it.

Although, now that the over time is gone i now miss it.

Edit:

All in all, imo free time is more valuable than a few extra bucks
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:26:15 PM by Eric H »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
More OT means more taxes for Uncle Sam. Free time to fish is priceless.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 04:25:56 AM »
I worked as a diesel mechanic for Caltrans in the snow for 32 years.  During the winter we would work an average of 70 hours a week, sometimes more.  My longest run was 61 twelve hours days in a row, so I understand the burn out part.  I retired 14 years ago and it's the best job I've ever had   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
I worked as a diesel mechanic for Caltrans in the snow for 32 years.  During the winter we would work an average of 70 hours a week, sometimes more.  My longest run was 61 twelve hours days in a row, so I understand the burn out part.  I retired 14 years ago and it's the best job I've ever had   ;D

That is 10x more hard core than anything I'm doing.  My closest would be working 7 days a week on the fishing boat all summer, but I'd rather be on a boat than in the shop.  Yikes!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.