Author Topic: Something New for Tuesday (8/1)  (Read 2378 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Something New for Tuesday (8/1)
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
So Squatch and I do the usual and hit the bar before heading out fishing.  Since it gets so late before it gets dark, we decided to bring some light rods down with us also.  I fumbled between the typical salmon/SoCal set up, a heavier long plugging rod and my old St Croix surf striper rod I used to throw big plugs for bass,  I opted with the heavier of the three and tied on a 2oz castmaster.  Basically, the perfect Baja style rig.

we make a long walk to get away from the crowd and on my first cast... BOOM!  Fish on!  Steve was in a little disbelief, but I beached a nice 24+ inch corvina!  My first from the surf!  They look bad ass in the bay, but are all lit up from the surfline.  The hook easily pulls and a wave sucked him out as I was grabbing him, but he was green and feisty from being reeled in so fast on gear suited for something bigger.

Over the course of the next hour, I had a corvina slam my CM right in front of me while coming out of the water.  Steve had slashing corvina where he was, but did not have the right stuff to target them, so switched back to the C-Rig.  I had bait blowing up in front of me and when reeling my cast master through it, got slammed again!  Only got a couple of head shakes into the fight and it was off.  Finally I get what felt like a halibut bite.  The fight quickly escalated into line peeling runs and I quickly thought striper!  When I finally got it to my feet, it only turned out to be a sideways halibut.  Oh well, but not a bad way to watch the sun set into the Pacific.

Steve finally sees a nice corBina and cast to it.  He gets hammered hard, but misses it.  Another cast out and the toothless small Soupfin shark (Smoothy) grabbed his crab and got the skunk off for him.

We fished the night creatures only for plucked baits and gumming bites, so I was glad we brought the smaller gear and got into some action.  Not the typical Thursday, but I'll take a first like that!

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Something New for Tuesday (8/1)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Well that sounds fun!
Glad you got out on a Tuesday again Tom!

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
So Squatch and I do the usual and hit the bar before heading out fishing.  Since it gets so late before it gets dark, we decided to bring some light rods down with us also.  I fumbled between the typical salmon/SoCal set up, a heavier long plugging rod and my old St Croix surf striper rod I used to throw big plugs for bass,  I opted with the heavier of the three and tied on a 2oz castmaster.  Basically, the perfect Baja style rig.

we make a long walk to get away from the crowd and on my first cast... BOOM!  Fish on!  Steve was in a little disbelief, but I beached a nice 24+ inch corvina!  My first from the surf!  They look bad ass in the bay, but are all lit up from the surfline.  The hook easily pulls and a wave sucked him out as I was grabbing him, but he was green and feisty from being reeled in so fast on gear suited for something bigger.

Over the course of the next hour, I had a corvina slam my CM right in front of me while coming out of the water.  Steve had slashing corvina where he was, but did not have the right stuff to target them, so switched back to the C-Rig.  I had bait blowing up in front of me and when reeling my cast master through it, got slammed again!  Only got a couple of head shakes into the fight and it was off.  Finally I get what felt like a halibut bite.  The fight quickly escalated into line peeling runs and I quickly thought striper!  When I finally got it to my feet, it only turned out to be a sideways halibut.  Oh well, but not a bad way to watch the sun set into the Pacific.

Steve finally sees a nice corBina and cast to it.  He gets hammered hard, but misses it.  Another cast out and the toothless small Soupfin shark (Smoothy) grabbed his crab and got the skunk off for him.

We fished the night creatures only for plucked baits and gumming bites, so I was glad we brought the smaller gear and got into some action.  Not the typical Thursday, but I'll take a first like that!

Thanks for reading.

Nice session! Congrats!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »
Sounds fun, but ugh... I miss surf sharks so much!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
Good to see you.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
Sounds fun, but ugh... I miss surf sharks so much!!!
Starting to miss them too. Im gona dust off the long rods soon

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Dang, a surf vine, a striper or a legal Hali are all on my bucket list. Going on a off shore trip (Tribute-Overnight) Friday so hopefully, I have something to pull on. Wish me luck!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Dang, a surf vine, a striper or a legal Hali are all on my bucket list. Going on a off shore trip (Tribute-Overnight) Friday so hopefully, I have something to pull on. Wish me luck!

Good luck Binh!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 05:32:16 AM »
Nice indeed, I've transitioned back to the light rod for the summer myself
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect