Author Topic: Outstanding Surf Slayage (8/5)  (Read 2944 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Outstanding Surf Slayage (8/5)
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »
Just wow....

I had plans to take the boat out, but after a long hot day at the Safari Park with the family, I had no energy to prep the boat.  I wanted to go fishing still, so decided on the surf since I just caught my first surf corvina on Tuesday.  I decided to try a different beach just for the hell of it and prepped some medium sized gear perfect for sailing out a 2oz Castmaster.  Penn Battle II 4000, 14# test, 9' SCR rod for whipping the lure out long distance. 

I arrived at 5:30 and was taken back by how many guys were surf fishing.  All perch and corbina guys, but they were taking up all of the better areas.  I walked and test cast along the way for no luck.  I was starting to second guess my decision to come here since I should have made the run to the other beach looking for corvina.  I kept walking and walking and casting every now and then until I hit a spot that I did pretty good with in the past.  First cast and I get a 12" Calico.  Next cast and I get another...  You see the pattern now...

The cast master had to get out past the far breaker as that is where all the fish were holding.  Every once in a while bait would erupt and bass were flopping all over!  It was just plain stupid fishing!  I was fishing waste deep water to make sure I could reach the break and to keep away from all of the tourists that wanted to talk to me.  I gathered quite the crowd, but staying out deep kept those pesky tourists away.

The calicos were all 11"-15".  In general they were mostly 13" average.

Thankfully I had my waterproof camera in my pocket, although I was hoping my waterproof box was keeping my keys and phone dry since they were submerged almost the entire time.

Every now and then I would catch a fat turd roller also!

I was keeping a good count since all I was catching was bass when I saw fish just erupt outside the wave again!  This one had slashes and some BIG fish also!  I wasn't sure if it was WSB or Stripers, but they had huge dorsal spines and that tail threw a lot of water!  I casted at them like crazy, but could only get bass and........

....to bite!  Now was the most steady fishing I had in the last hour.  I caught 5 corvina on this run as well as the majority of my bass!

The tide started to push in and it pushed me back getting out of the zone.  I was still picking away at them, but the crowds came pouring in and I was all done.  I wrapped it up at 9:30 and started walking back.  I saw some huge beans along the way and lots of perch swimming in the skinny besides the typical guitarfish.

As I was walking, I bumped into Ben and his friend from Oregon.  They had bean set ups on and after telling them about the epic session I had, his Oregon buddy tells Ben, "You told me to leave the chrome spoon in the car".  hahahaha. 

Final tally for a few hours of fishing....

24 Calico Bass
6 Sand Bass
5 Corvina
2 Yellowfin Croaker
2 Mackerel

No halibut and I never got whatever those huge fish were breaking on bait out there, but they were at a minimum 3 feet long.  Massive too as they really pushed some water when they attacked.

Well, it was a great session.  Thanks for reading and until next tide!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:58:46 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Outstanding Surf Slayage (8/5)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
That's not including the 40 fish I lost. Lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
As I was walking, I bumped into Ben and his friend from Oregon.  They had bean set ups on and after telling them about the epic session I had, his Oregon buddy tells Ben, "You told me to leave the chrome spoon in the car".  hahahaha.

Obviously the smart call, since you weren't going to leave any fish for us.  ;D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
Wow, that's an insane session Tom!  I need to get out with the light gear!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
Final tally for a few hours of fishing....

24 Calico Bass
6 Sand Bass
5 Corvina
2 Yellowfin Croaker
2 Mackerel

Damn..............I thought I had a good session this morning until I read this.  Totally awesome Tom
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »
Simply mind blowing!

This is right up there with the night you caught 11 bat rays in the bay.

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »
Wow look how nice that trough looks! Epic session indeed.  Way to go Tom! Those days really put a smile on your face! 8)

Nellie

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
lol that trough though it looks funny how did you cought 11 bat rays in the way thats mind blowing sir you gonna never forget this day i think so xD