Author Topic: 8/5 Hot and Steamy  (Read 3266 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
8/5 Hot and Steamy
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Fished the Jewel on Sunday. Launched at graylight. 76 degree SST and green. Same yuk green water I've seen all year as a matter of fact. Took an unimpressive 2 foot wave to the lap. Boom broken fish finder mount. Old brittle plastic was the culprit. A quick MacGyver job and I'm back in action.

Bait making unsuccessful at the Sabiki grounds. Swapped hooks for jigs and paddled west.

No current. No breeze. Felt like fishing a swamp. Metered the red crabs as I weaved through a floatilla of  kelp stringers. Complete desert until mid morning.

A small foamer popped up in front of me and another fellow kayaker. We both approach and make our offerings. Fish sink out in a hurry. Shucks!

Later I find a piece of ridge that's loaded and score a smorgasbord of rockfish. Different species every drop. Some on the plastic the rest on a Megafake. Also noticed when I drifted off structure I'd get sandbass. Way more than usual. Didn't stay long as I didn't want my bounty to spoil in the heat. At this point I'm using my bait tank as a fish hold but with water now at 77 degrees I was already making cioppino.

On the way back just outside the reserve birds everywhere... diving... and moving... fast. Every now and then a foamer pops up then sinks within a few seconds. I hang out for a bit watching this. Birds from the cove all the way to Table Rock. Whatever was pushing bait was moving fast. Too fast for me didn't even consider chasing them down with a 3kt top speed... ok maybe 2 1/2... with a Preworkout shake.

Very uneventful landing just how I like it. Eye candy in full effect. Got about 8 "are you leavings" and 2 honks while loading up. A new record!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 8/5 Hot and Steamy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »
I bet you were sweating your ass off and all the eye candy was checking out the sweat stains when you got back in your uneventful landing.  LOL

Thanks for the intel Len.  I'm hoping to get one from the beach here soon. 

Any signs of sharks or anything out of the ordinary?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »
Beats a winch handle to the face.

Too bad you got no action on the foamers.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:55:08 AM »
Didn't see anything sharky but who knows they might have seen me.  ???

Anything that popped up on the meter was hugging the bottom. A lot of kelp only grown to 50ft. Thermocline maybe? Hopefully this upcoming hurricane swell pushes some new water.