Author Topic: Long Bombing the Kastmaster (8/12)  (Read 1504 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Long Bombing the Kastmaster (8/12)
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:58:48 AM »
I headed back out to where I slayed the bass last week, but found much bigger surf and a lot of grass and cabbage in the water.  I still worked last weeks spot for nada, so moved up the line a bit.  I was starting to think I was going home with the skunk today when I cast over in a shallow area and get hit.  I reel in a 12" calico who tried to Kamikazi me when I hoisted him out of the water.  A bigger wave was hitting and I pulled my arm up a little faster than usual.  The bass flew off the lure and made a sky shot and arced to come right down at my face!  I threw my arm up to deflect him and got a spine in my forearm.  Geez, what a start to the morning.

I stayed in the area even though there was weeds on every cast.  I managed a 11" sand bass next, followed by another 12" calico.  I started to make small moves and try different hole and hit a spot loaded with mackerel.  I caught three of those buggers before they moved on and cleared out of the area.

I got snagged on something on on of my last casts and got it free.  As it pulled free, something big slammed it!  It was bull dogging me and pulling some drag.  I had my fingers crossed it was a striper or some other type of exotic, but it wound up being a big old Calico about 20".  It face was all yellow and it was all lit up from being in the shallow area.  Super fun fight on the lighter gear for sure!

I started making my way back and could see tern s working the outside breaks, but they were all 2 or 3 max casts out which I could not come close to reaching.  I'm not saying I didn't try, but no more fish this morning.  The amount of dogs and people on the beach was killing me though as signs were posted "No dogs allowed", but that never seems to deter anyone.  I watched 3 dogs take a dump on the beach and the owner never picked up after it.  <sigh>

Oh well, I was back home by 10:00 and finished the day working on the garage and taking down some c*cktails.  It was a mighty fine weekend.

Until next tide...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Long Bombing the Kastmaster (8/12)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:51:00 AM »
I'm surprised we didn't run into each other.  I was there as well, same report on salad.  Managed one yellowfin croaker on the krocodile.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
I saw someone with the straw hat, but didn't know if it was you. I took a really long walk.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
I reel in a 12" calico who tried to Kamikazi me, the bass flew off the lure and made a sky shot and arced to come right down at my face!  I threw my arm up to deflect him and got a spine in my forearm.

Damn dude, just be glad it wasn't the 20" one that wanted to get even with you   ;D

BTW........a 20" checker off the beach is a toad!!!!!!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect